2007 Subaru STI - Rebuilt engine lead content UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post, so excuse me if I am lacking required information.

This sample was taken from a rebuilt Subaru EJ257, which suffered from a piston ringland failure. The block halves were re-used, but pistons, rods, crank, bearings, etc. were all replaced with new parts. Oil change intervals used to date are 150, 500, 800, 1700, and 3100 miles. Oil used for all changes were Royal Purple 10w-30 break-in, with a Purolator PureONE (PL14460) oil filter. The car is a daily driver, with no track time on the rebuilt engine.

The first analysis showed no alarming data, but the second analysis to date showed elevated levels of lead. Is this cause for concern? Are bearings showing greater than normal wear for an engine with this many miles, or is this still residual from the engine breaking in? Will I notice the lead content drop after I switch to Rotella T6 5w-40?

Thanks

Html:

MI/HR on Oil 1,450 1,000

MI/HR on Unit 3,160 2,025

Sample Date 09/18/14 08/17/14

ALUMINUM 2 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 5 6

COPPER 6 6

LEAD 6 4

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 0 1

NICKEL 0 1

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 1 0

BORON 2 2

SILICON 9 10

SODIUM 15 13

CALCIUM 2562 2432

MAGNESIUM 489 461

PHOSPHORUS 900 875

ZINC 1075 1035

BARIUM 0 0

Values

Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 60.7 58-65 61.1

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.42 9.7-11.9 10.54

Flashpoint in °F 385 >375 400

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0
Insolubles % TR
TBN

TAN

ISO Code

Other numbers are trending down but look at copper, too. Do another UOA on your next oil change. There's probably nothing wrong, just a break-in in progress.

Yeah, I think this is just noise as well. RP Break-in oil is good stuff and is what IAG Performance in MD uses on their rebuilds. Who did the work? Was it rebuilt to stock levels or higher? EM?

-Dennis

Hoping based on the feedback it is in fact "noise", and will go away as the engine continues to break-in. Is it possible that lead is being leached from the bearing? Copper also stayed steady, is this another sign?

To add, my oil pressure is on target between 80-90psi at cold start, and 20-24psi warm idle. Oil temp fully warmed up is between 205-215F depending ambient temp. I also typically go on short trips, between 20-30 minutes. Don't know if this will add to the analysis findings.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Yeah, I think this is just noise as well. RP Break-in oil is good stuff and is what IAG Performance in MD uses on their rebuilds. Who did the work? Was it rebuilt to stock levels or higher? EM?

-Dennis

I had my engine rebuilt by IAG in MD. Top notch facility, with very knowledgeable, and experienced staff. JJ and Rick know a thing or two about Subaru engines, hah. Internals that were used are a little over stock Manley forged pistons, Manley forged rods, and the newer model STI crank. My EM is stock ECU with Cobb AP.

The highest my lead has been is 10 and it was probably because I was pushing my intervals too far on thin oil.

The copper could just be the zinc's interaction with the oil cooler, which I presume is new. If it really bugs you too much, get a professional interpretation of your reults from Terry Dyson (google Dyson Analysis). His advise ain't free.
grin2.gif

Maybe all of those short and frequent intervals don't really help lower uoa break-in wear numbers. Are you running T6 now?

-Dennis

Last edited:
Has your lead dropped from 10? Was it because of an aggressive tune? My tune is on the conservative side. I will check out Dyson Analysis, thanks.

The oil cooler is new, yes. I am still running Royal Purple Break-in oil up to 5000 miles. I am currently at 3600, and plan to run a UOA at the 5000 mile mark.

The turbo is new too, but I don't know if that matters.

I'd run the next oci out to 3k, then sample. Often wear numbers are higher at the beginning of an interval. I think you numbers are ok, just let it work itself out for a while. "Don't worry, be Happy!"

Originally Posted By: njsti
Has your lead dropped from 10? Was it because of an aggressive tune? My tune is on the conservative side. I will check out Dyson Analysis, thanks.

The oil cooler is new, yes. I am still running Royal Purple Break-in oil up to 5000 miles. I am currently at 3600, and plan to run a UOA at the 5000 mile mark.

The turbo is new too, but I don't know if that matters.

My lead is back to normal now and I never run oils with an HTHS lower than 3.5 and don't extend my OCI's beyond 5-6k miles (also still running the AVCS and turbo banjo bolt screens). At the time, my engine was stock and I went with a Cobb AP at 110k miles and still run the OTS tune (living on the edge, I suppose
grin2.gif
).

I really don't think all of those oil changes make that much of a difference in flushing out the break-in wear. Then again I don't rebuild engines.

I follow FT86club.com and it was interesting to see that there was very little difference in the rate uoa wear metals dropped when someone did a lot of changes the first 12,000 miles or so vs. those that did only a couple in the same mileage. I don't believe that Cobb's rebuild guidelines call for that many changes. But I presume you need to follow IAG's instructions since they built the engine and provide you with a warranty.

I would just do another uoa down the line and would only get concerned if those numbers increased.

19.gif

Oh, and
welcome2.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: njsti
Oil change intervals used to date are 150, 500, 800, 1700, and 3100 miles.

way too aggressive, get your OCD looked at
grin.gif

Dennis,

I was a little hesitant doing that many oil changes during the break-in period, but like you said regarding rebuilding engines, I don't personally rebuild them either.

Has any data been shown that doing that many oil changes is beneficial? Doing an oil change after the engine start would make sense, and maybe even after driving it around for 20 miles or so. Also, is specific break-in oil beneficial too?

I plan do do another UOA before I switch to T6. Thanks for the welcome!

cptbarkey,

OCD is a curse, hah.

I'm not aware of any data but I'm sure each builder has their own reasons and preference. Cobb recommends only three changes the first 1k mikes on SAE 30 non-detergent oil.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-Articles-s/70721.htm

You can browse the Built Motor forum at nasioc at you'll see a lot of folks running Rotella 15W-40. When I toured Vermont Rally Car last year, I noticed they used Motul 10W-40 break-in oil, but didn't ask how many drains they did before a race or when they switched to synthetic. They probably did the break-in on their out of car engine dyno. It was pretty amazing.

But I wouldn't be concerned at this point. I think the uoa is fine.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back