2007 Subaru forester recommendation for ATF trans fluid at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart is the only local car parts place near me. Which 2007 Subaru forester recommendation for ATF (transmission automatic) fluid apart from OEM? They don't specifically have subaru ATF HP or the "J" ones recommended in the manual. I think they have been replaced... Here's the link below....thanks

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...13555/61bd9d474444/2007/subaru/forester?

ps..it looks like the subaru oem atf is brown in color and has a bit thicker viscosity ~ like 7.3 vs 6 @ 100 celcius. I'm also adding this in a drain and fill scenario and believe the existing tranny fluid in there is non synthetic. Is it ok to mix synth with non-synth.

welcome2.gif

Maxlife will work fine in your Subaru
smile.gif

I once rode on the airport shuttle bus to Kokomo Transmission plant with a Chrysler transmission engineer. I asked him how to make the trans. on my 2001 Caravan last. He was adamant that ONLY Certified trans. fluid be used. Not some "equivalent" or with some additive that makes it "just as good", but, Chrysler certified, in this case ATF +4. He said transmissions were designed with very specific lubrication requirements. He also said to use the severe service schedule. I'm on my second caravan, never a trans. issue. So, while other options may work fine, I would get the ATF HP. I see Idemitsu has a fluid called type HP that they say meets the Subaru HP specifications, but, I don't see anywhere that it says it's certified. That seems like that's your most cost effective option from Amazon if you are a prime member and get free shipping.

I think I would only use an ATF that is listed specifically for SUBARU. Non in your list is even approved for topping up. Look at Amazon for the correct fluid. ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eddie
I think I would only use an ATF that is listed specifically for SUBARU. Non in your list is even approved for topping up. ed

This ⬆ . With as expensive as trans are why not use a vehicle specific atf? People seem to think Maxlife is the ultimate fluid , all they are seeing is a cheap price of a fluid that claims everything certified for nothing . Spend the 30 bucks more and get the correct fluid .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Originally Posted by Eddie
I think I would only use an ATF that is listed specifically for SUBARU. Non in your list is even approved for topping up. ed

This ⬆ . With as expensive as trans are why not use a vehicle specific atf? People seem to think Maxlife is the ultimate fluid , all they are seeing is a cheap price of a fluid that claims everything certified for nothing . Spend the 30 bucks more and get the correct fluid .

I feel you can get away with MaxLife in a Toyota, non-CVT Honda/Nissan/Subaru and Hyundai/Kia/Mitsu as it does meet JASO M315-1A specs for Japanese/Korean spec ATFs but there might be some minute differences in shift feel but it's not the gospel and it's probably best to stick to OEM spec fluids for the rest.

Subaru does call for ATF-HP in post-2004/2005 versions of the 4EAT for some reasons - it's a old but proven, Nissan/Jatco-based designed. I've used MaxLife in a 2003 Forester with no issues.

the Beck Arnly HP would be the only one on that O 'Reilly list that I would put in a Subaru. NAPA carries the Indimetsu HP fluid for Subaru which is the same stuff that dealers sell as Indimitsu makes the Subaru HP fluid. There are not many brands of Subaru HP fluid. Tranny repairs are way way too costly to risk over saving a few $ on fluid. With the HP fluid you cannot go wrong.

If you worry a lot and the car has high miles then I'd stick with the OEM fluid which as others have said is made by Indimetsu. With that said, the Subaru torque converted auto's are JATCO units, and Mobil1 ATF, Redline D6, Valvoline Maxlife, Castrol F/S LV ATF ect have all been proven to work as well if not better then S-matic fluid in the related Nissan/Infiniti Jatco 5 and 7 speed units, they are better quality and more resistant to thermal breakdown and shear.

Valvoline Import Synthetic ATF. You can get it on Amazon or Advancrautoparts.com in gallon sizes. Thicker at operating temp and a better fit than maxlife in my opinion. Would expect it to.be more shear stable than the OE fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back