2007 Odyssey - Private Party Sale Price?

2007 Honda Odyssey, EX-L. Two owner CA car, 170K miles.

The van is owned by one of my friends and he wants to sell it. One of my auto tech friends is interested in buying it.

I have done a lot of work to the van over the last 6 months. What is a reasonable sale price?

The Good:
- Timing Belt Service, Drive Belt Tensioner and Drive Belt were replaced 3K ago.
- Valve Clearance was adjusted 2K ago. Spark Plugs and Valve Cover Gaskets were replaced at the same time.
- Last week, I resealed the oil pump assembly, replaced the oil pan and overhauled the Power Steering pump with new gaskets and new shaft seal.
- Brake Fluid Flush, ATF drain and refill and Rear Brake Pad replacement were performed last week. Later this week, it will be receiving new front brake pads and rotors.
- $49 Walmart Battery was installed 6 months ago.
- Passes CA Smog Inspection

The Bad:
- Burns 1 qt of oil every 1500-2K miles. Oil Consumption can be reduced if VCM is disabled.
- All Tires are between 4/32"-5/32"
- Front bumper cover needs to be refitted, several dents (largest one is tennis ball sized) and headlights need to be reconditioned. Overall cosmetic condition is a B- for a 14 year old minivan.
- Rear Main Seal is starting to seep.

The Ugly:
- Front camshaft is pitted, this will become an issue at some point. For now, the engine sounds normal.
- Paint has failed on the upper portion of the liftgate
- Lower Glovebox latch is broken
- Power liftgate motor has failed

1622574595776.png

4FA84E62-C9BC-4CD3-8488-803A4CC691A5.jpeg

Last edited:
As a basis for comparison, I sold an 06 Odyssey EX-L this past August.
It was a one owner with 80K that had NOT had the timing belt done.
It was pristine both inside and out. It had never had kids in it.
I sold it for $6500 (full asking) in less than 48 hours after putting it in my front yard.
In addition, if the party that purchased it backed out, I had two people on a waiting list willing to pay full asking.

As a basis for comparison, I sold an 06 Odyssey EX-L this past August.
It was a one owner with 80K that had NOT had the timing belt done.
It was pristine both inside and out. It had never had kids in it.
I sold it for $6500 (full asking) in less than 48 hours after putting it in my front yard.
In addition, if the party that purchased it backed out, I had two people on a waiting list willing to pay full asking.
I guess the market was a bit different 10 months ago. But even after considering regional differences and a different market, $6500 seems awfully low for what you described. Were you just looking for a quick sale?

With those issues I’d put it at the low end of private party myself but this is a crazy market so who knows what it’ll actually bring.

First, I'd look and see what Carvana and the likes will offer for it. They're offering crazy money right now. Next, if it were me, I'd feel obligated to disclose the issues to your tech friend (maybe he already knows) and then share with him what Carvana is offering. You're not here to give away a car, but I'd shave off the most I could feel comfortable with in order to put it somewhere where you know it will be appreciated/cared for. Ultimately, all you're doing is establishing what the market is for your friends van, and negotiating down from there. If all he's after is top dollar, Carvana is probably his best bet.

I think Carvana specializes in late-model cars under a certain mileage. Clearly, they have zero interest in this one.

View attachment 59046
Oof.. I didn't realize they had a cutoff of any type. That does complicate things. Sorry about that. So I did a nationwide search on Cargurus (2006-2008 Odyssey, EX-L, around 170k miles) and it looks like I'd say the average listing price is in the mid $4,000 range. That's nationwide, so it's not a great comparison to what it's like in your area, but it's something to pair with KBB.

Last edited:
I agree with RhondaHonda. The 170K will scare many away even with the new parts.
Cali smog a big deal? (jk) ...should be worth something!
Are you going to mention the cam shaft and RMS?

Same question for a 2007 Odyssey Touring (adjustable pedals, PAX (run flat) tires, a roughened front bumper skin and a clout in the rear hatch which doesn't impede operation or leak. 145K.
I did the last OC, trans D&F, coolant D&F and PS reservoir D&F. The opportunity arose.
The owner has a garage and the vehicle seems well taken care of and drives great.

Maybe CA has crazy used car prices (the private party value seems optimistic to me), but that van would probably sell for around $3500-4000 where I live if you don't disclose the potential engine pitfalls.

Depending on how bad the bumper is and/or tailgate paint will probably be the biggest contributor toward sale price. Most buyers, in my experience, they judge the quality of the vehicle by its looks. I've sold used cars to people that never even opened the hood.

If the van looks as good as it does in the photo (I'm assuming the other side isn't hiding anything and that damage to paint and bumper isn't horrendous) and provided it stays detailed at sale time, maybe you could eek $4k or a bit higher out of it.. I'm sure the market varies wildly though depending on where you are in the country.

If the van looks as good as it does in the photo (I'm assuming the other side isn't hiding anything and that damage to paint and bumper isn't horrendous) and provided it stays detailed at sale time, maybe you could eek $4k or a bit higher out of it.. I'm sure the market varies wildly though depending on where you are in the country.
The front bumper is sagging a bit near the headlights. The paint failure is limited to the plastic top portion of the liftgate; rest of it is fine.
AE21BD05-B9FB-47AB-9DA5-52486C12761A.jpeg

There is a black 07 for sale on Craigslist with similar mileage for $7K; I think his price is a bit optimistic though.

I guess the market was a bit different 10 months ago. But even after considering regional differences and a different market, $6500 seems awfully low for what you described. Were you just looking for a quick sale?
$6825. was the max KBB value (for retail) at that time.
I knocked a few hundred off it because I hadn't had the TB done on it.
At that point, the same vehicle you described (even the same color) with 155K on it was listed for $5600. at one of the local Honda dealers.
I was priced at the top of the market, 1K higher than private sale.
I could do that because frankly I had the nicest one available in my area with the least miles.
The one at the dealer was one of the lowest mileage ones available. The next lowest mileage was 221K. There were 2 others above 250K.
If I had it now, I'll bet I could get another grand out of it, anyway.

I read the camshafts aren't too hard to replace but a $2k dealership job? So it seems like its a $2k trade in vehicle with a bad cam... Can the tech not buy these for $2500 before they get sent to auction? Even after your work its seems like its not worth that much if you disclose the issues, but I guess your buddy knows what it takes to fix them. I think you could get way more from a starry eyed "Honda Buyer" than an informed mechanic buyer would pay, but maybe your buddy really likes this one?

I read the camshafts aren't too hard to replace but a $2k dealership job? So it seems like its a $2k trade in vehicle with a bad cam... Can the tech not buy these for $2500 before they get sent to auction? Even after your work its seems like its not worth that much if you disclose the issues, but I guess your buddy knows what it takes to fix them. I think you could get way more from a starry eyed "Honda Buyer" than an informed mechanic buyer would pay, but maybe your buddy really likes this one?
I can probably fix it for $350 in a few hours, but yes, $2k is the average dealer price for the repair. If my buddy buys the car I will probably get recruited to do the job.

Something tells me I should have removed the engine last year and "overhauled" it instead of tearing it down multiple times.

I think Carvana specializes in late-model cars under a certain mileage. Clearly, they have zero interest in this one.

View attachment 59046
When you are selling stuff in a vending machine you want every item to be as similar as possible (which means higher end like new condition instead of bang up units that need appraisal). Carvana likely just gave you an estimated auction price subtracting some profit and towing fee from it.

Do you know why the camshaft is pitted? It probably is a job slightly more than timing belt but pulling it out to "overhaul" seems crazy. Just add some thicker high mileage oil to it to slow the burn and maybe clean out the ring pack and call it a day.

Last edited:
13-year old van with the beginnings of severe engine issues?
$2k if you are lucky. If it’s worth $5-6k in good condition, $2k plus a $3k engine replace gets you there.

Update:

Since the start of the thread, the van also blew the high-pressure p/s line. It was replaced with a Sunsong.

The rear main seal also started leaking worse.

A few months ago, the van was listed for $5K and sat for weeks. It eventually sold for $4k.

Moral of the story: even in this "hot" market, the interest for this van was shockingly low.

Back