2007 Mustang 4.6L M1 TruckSuv 5w20

20200919_091220.jpg

Thanks for sharing. You can see the 10% increase in "sludge fighting additive" is in the higher Mg level.

Report looks ok. Wear could be better IMO.

M1 Truck and SUV oil would be perfect for this truck. It's lifted like a truck and I'm guessing the owner does lots of off-roading and mudding. I wonder if this thing is 4WD?
:ROFLMAO:
lifted.jpg

I like the add-pack of that oil, it is actually ‘stronger’ than reg M1.

But, for a 4.6 and only 4600 miles, results are not good

it is more of a tick than a knock, i suspect it is the cam phasers (fairly common problem on these engines). I did this analysis to make sure the tick was not the roller followers.

Not sure why anyone would say the wear was bad on this report, I dont study UOAs like sone of you..what am i missing.

This car is my baby, i absolutely love it..and I drive it hard sometimes, pedal to the floor as im getting onto the highway up to 80 or 90mph a couple of times a day.

I would lean towards cam phaser issue.
4.6 is a tough engine can't recall the last one i heard with a knock.
I used 5w30 in my 02 GT, engine always ran flawlessly .
Running 5w30 in my 15 GT engine is amazingly quiet considering the 100 feet of chains that are in it, only noise is fuel injector ticking.

Last edited:
I agree with hemitom, probably a phaser issue. Also, if I'm not mistaking; I noticed Blackstone dismissed a potential bearing issue because lead is low, but I thought all of the Ford Modular's had aluminum/copper in the bearings and not lead?

Last edited:
I agree with hemitom, probably a phaser issue. Also, if I'm not mistaking; I noticed Blackstone dismissed a potential bearing issue because lead is low, but I thought all of the Ford Modular's had aluminum/copper in the bearings and not lead?

Yes, correct. The mod motors almost always use bi-metal aluminum bearings, except for a few cases like the 5.0 Boss 302 which used traditional tri-metal bearings. A base GT would not have the tri-metal bearings. The Blackstone comment is off base.

Regarding the knocking noise, time to take off the valve covers and check the roller followers. They will start knocking when the needle bearings have worn out. Plenty of sound samples of this phenomenon on YouTube.

I took off the passenger side valve cover and replaced the vct solenoid, took a good look at the cam lobes and they all looked good.

Back