2007 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L Valvoline Blend 5W20 3078 mi

You can easily triple or quadruple the 3k mile OCI in those cars ...
Please read these reports of my two MGMs before you say I'm a heretic.

Those engines don't care one hoot about what lube is in the crankcase nor what filter is hanging off the side of them as long as the products are reasonably selected for the application. The Ford 2v mod-motors will last nearly forever with anything from 0w-20 to 10w-40 and everything in between. And as far as filters go, the hypothesis here on BITOG far, far, far exceeds the proof about how much filter differences matter in short to moderate OCIs (15k miles or less).
That's pretty amazing you ran 10k on dino. I'd be scared to death to do that. I cringed when the PO of my MGM told me he would occasionally go 7k miles, just because he didn't feel like changing the oil (I can understand that, lol). I guess I'm just so used to the picky nature of the 3v Modular like what's in my F-Series pickup that makes me want to be such a nut with maintenance, especially on Modular V8s.

The 3v 5.4L was the exception to the rule. For example, the 3v 6.8L was never an issue. The difference lays not in the number of valves, but the VVT. The 6.8L 3v engine never had VVT because it's balance shaft was in the cylinder head and the VVT system could not fit (the 5.4L didn't need the balance shaft).

All the 2v mod motors (4.6L, 5.4L, 6.8L) can run a LONG time with just a routine oil and decent quality filter; premium products are not needed at all. 15k miles OCIs are VERY doable in most of these engines, if you are committed to UOAs and other tracking tools. In my household, 10k mile OCIs are the norm on every car I have because the data shows me that the wear rates don't change significantly even when going out that far.

Way back when (10 years ago or so ...) I ran some experiments on my wife's minivan (Villager with Nissan VG30E); I ran OCIs out progressively to 15k miles doing UOAs along the way (results were posted here at the time). The wear rates at 15k miles were not appreciably different than the 3k mile OCI suggestion in the owner's manual for our "severe service" use. So I was able to quintuple the OCI "recommended" by the OEM; and that was on conventional oil and normal OTC filters. Not one drop of syn was used; not one super-premium filter was needed!

Engines today run clean enough that the soot loading and moisture intrusion aren't an issue. So as long as the wear rates are low, why waste oil? When the data shows low wear rates, it's OK to extend the OCIs. If you pay for a UOA, and then ignore the data, you're essentially doubling down on waste, because you're not only throwing away good oil, but also throwing away good information.

There are a lot of OCD compulsions BITOGers have; I get it. There's nothing wrong with frequent OCIs as long as you can admit to yourself it's a waste of money. There is ZERO PROOF that shorter OCIs result in lower wear rates. And there is a TON OF DATA that shows longer OCIs are just as effective at controlling wear.

I DO NOT ADVOCATE for OCI extensions blindly. One must use the tools (UOAs, PCs, observations, knowledge of engine series history) to make safe decisions which maximize the ROI. But if you understand the data and are willing to let go of preconceived notions, there's a whole other world out there. Free yourself from the short-OCI tyranny! 😄

The 3v 5.4L was the exception to the rule. For example, the 3v 6.8L was never an issue. The difference lays not in the number of valves, but the VVT. The 6.8L 3v engine never had VVT because it's balance shaft was in the cylinder head and the VVT system could not fit (the 5.4L didn't need the balance shaft).

All the 2v mod motors (4.6L, 5.4L, 6.8L) can run a LONG time with just a routine oil and decent quality filter; premium products are not needed at all. 15k miles OCIs are VERY doable in most of these engines, if you are committed to UOAs and other tracking tools. In my household, 10k mile OCIs are the norm on every car I have because the data shows me that the wear rates don't change significantly even when going out that far.

Way back when (10 years ago or so ...) I ran some experiments on my wife's minivan (Villager with Nissan VG30E); I ran OCIs out progressively to 15k miles doing UOAs along the way (results were posted here at the time). The wear rates at 15k miles were not appreciably different than the 3k mile OCI suggestion in the owner's manual for our "severe service" use. So I was able to quintuple the OCI "recommended" by the OEM; and that was on conventional oil and normal OTC filters. Not one drop of syn was used; not one super-premium filter was needed!

Engines today run clean enough that the soot loading and moisture intrusion aren't an issue. So as long as the wear rates are low, why waste oil? When the data shows low wear rates, it's OK to extend the OCIs. If you pay for a UOA, and then ignore the data, you're essentially doubling down on waste, because you're not only throwing away good oil, but also throwing away good information.

There are a lot of OCD compulsions BITOGers have; I get it. There's nothing wrong with frequent OCIs as long as you can admit to yourself it's a waste of money. There is ZERO PROOF that shorter OCIs result in lower wear rates. And there is a TON OF DATA that shows longer OCIs are just as effective at controlling wear.

I DO NOT ADVOCATE for OCI extensions blindly. One must use the tools (UOAs, PCs, observations, knowledge of engine series history) to make safe decisions which maximize the ROI. But if you understand the data and are willing to let go of preconceived notions, there's a whole other world out there. Free yourself from the short-OCI tyranny!
Oh, i completely understand. I've always been an OCD nut. I've admitted here plenty of times on BITOG. The reason I do UOA's is not necessarily to see if I can extend my oil intervals, but just to check and make sure the engine is in good shape and no problems are showing up with a particular part, internally. I will probably extend the oil change interval on this car, eventually, once I feel comfortable. Easier said than done though, for a person, like me. My 3v F-150 will always get 3,000 mile changes though, lol. Way too afraid of something grenading in that garbage designed motor. Love how bulletproof the 2v is though, for sure.

I've wondered that, as well. I wish they did. I guess I'll have to get them at an auto parts store, or maybe buy them in bulk online. Only thing I hate about purchasing online though is they are so prone to getting damaged when being delivered to your home.
Yeah no doubt! And at auto parts chains they're just too expensive.

I DO NOT ADVOCATE for OCI extensions blindly. One must use the tools (UOAs, PCs, observations, knowledge of engine series history) to make safe decisions which maximize the ROI. But if you understand the data and are willing to let go of preconceived notions, there's a whole other world out there. Free yourself from the short-OCI tyranny! 😄
Well, OCD about oil changing is fine, but not both OCD about oil changes and laissez -faire about everything else

I accomplish OCI's when my cheap Equinox's DI 2.4L starts to drink or burn oil, at a tune of 1 qt per 1000 miles. That's usually around 3,000 to 3,500 miles with QSFS 5W-30, or slightly less with Kirkland 5W-30. 142,000 miles and going strong.

I suppose that I should accomplish a oil analysis when this 2.4L starts to burn oil at an alarming rate, around that 3K to 3.5K miles point. I assume the issue is fuel dilution, where it's getting by the inferior rings at that point.

I have a bottle of Edge 0W-40 up next, hoping slow down or abate this likely fuel dilution effect.

That's all...

Last edited:
Back