2007 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L Valvoline Blend 5W20 3078 mi

Hi, guys. Back again. Did another somewhat short interval to see if my silicon levels would come down and as expected, they did, which I am glad. The original paper filter didn't fit right in the air box due to being a bit warped and I replaced it with an AEM drop-in which has a thicker seal and fits snug and so far it's working well. I see in the report Cu ticked up by 1 PPM, but I suppose that's nothing to worry about. What do you guys think?
MGM Blackstone #2.PNG

Hi, guys. Back again. Did another somewhat short interval to see if my silicon levels would come down and as expected, they did, which I am glad. The original paper filter didn't fit right in the air box due to being a bit warped and I replaced it with an AEM drop-in which has a thicker seal and fits snug and so far it's working well. I see in the report Cu ticked up by 1 PPM, but I suppose that's nothing to worry about. What do you guys think?View attachment 47671
Are you using a MC FL-820S on this engine?

BS seems to think your UOA is very good. And, you're using the crappy FL-820S oil filter. I wonder how the FL-820S haters are going to react to this? :rolleyes:
From what little information I have gathered: People tend to say these filters are prone to tearing, if your intervals exceed 5k miles. I'm not sure how true this is, but I know my intervals will probably never exceed 5k on this car.

BS seems to think your UOA is very good. And, you're using the crappy FL-820S oil filter. I wonder how the FL-820S haters are going to react to this? :rolleyes:
As long as he runs 3K OCIs, sticks to 5W20, and doesn’t floor it with a cold engine, it’ll likely be fine. But, I would still keep an eye on them-they’re not going on mine.

As long as he runs 3K OCIs, sticks to 5W20, and doesn’t floor it with a cold engine, it’ll likely be fine. But, I would still keep an eye on them-they’re not going on mine.
BW, you're a very well respected member to me, and here on this site. But, how did you come up with that seat of the pants theory? :unsure: :)

BW, you're a very well respected member to me, and here on this site. But, how did you come up with that seat of the pants theory? :unsure: :)
Let’s see-FL820S filters documented to tear in high delta-p conditions-thick, cold oil, high RPMs, and long usage. If they’re used judiciously, warm it up before flogging it, stick with recommended 5W20 (VWB is a thinner one in my experience), don’t push OCIs out far, the MC filter SHOULD be able to handle it. I drive in cold weather pretty often, with a thicker than average Magnatec 5W20, and I just don’t like trashing my crossmember regularly with a tough to remove filter, and the Ultra ADBVs have been outlasting the others I’ve used (CQ Blue, Wix, even [GASP] FL820S ones)!

Let’s see-FL820S filters documented to tear in high delta-p conditions-thick, cold oil, high RPMs, and long usage. If they’re used judiciously, warm it up before flogging it, stick with recommended 5W20 (VWB is a thinner one in my experience), don’t push OCIs out far, the MC filter SHOULD be able to handle it. I drive in cold weather pretty often, with a thicker than average Magnatec 5W20, and I just don’t like trashing my crossmember regularly with a tough to remove filter, and the Ultra ADBVs have been outlasting the others I’ve used (CQ Blue, Wix, even [GASP] FL820S ones)!
Okay, fair enough. ;)
But, IMHO, I still think it's a way to get "5 minutes of fame."
Until I actually come across one myself, it's on the list with the Loch Ness Monstuh, Bigfoot, and Aliens. :rolleyes:

My picture posting skills are not the best but I cut that filter open myself from a 5.4 3v f150 that was run until the change oil message came on. There is a hole in the wide spacing at the lower portion of the media. Certainly didn’t cause immediate destruction of the engine but made me question of the FL820S is really the best filter for my use when there are so many other options out there in a comparable price range.

My picture posting skills are not the best but I cut that filter open myself from a 5.4 3v f150 that was run until the change oil message came on. There is a hole in the wide spacing at the lower portion of the media. Certainly didn’t cause immediate destruction of the engine but made me question of the FL820S is really the best filter for my use when there are so many other options out there in a comparable price range.
Yeah, this trend on the FL-820S is definitely concerning. I own a 3v myself and always used the 820 without any problems, but maybe that's because I also do the 3k thing on that one, as well. What filters that are comparable in price are a good substitute for the FL-820S? I've been thinking about going to WIX on both vehicles. I already use WIX on my ancient Dodge D100 with a Slant 6 motor and they seem to be great filters.

Wix always seems to be one of the best constructed oil filters. I personally like the Fram line of products. The tough guard is really nice but on my 99 F150 I've been using the extra guard for it's 3k oil change intervals.

I wonder why Walmart doesn’t sell Wix?
I've wondered that, as well. I wish they did. I guess I'll have to get them at an auto parts store, or maybe buy them in bulk online. Only thing I hate about purchasing online though is they are so prone to getting damaged when being delivered to your home.

You can easily triple or quadruple the 3k mile OCI in those cars ...
Please read these reports of my two MGMs before you say I'm a heretic.

Those engines don't care one hoot about what lube is in the crankcase nor what filter is hanging off the side of them as long as the products are reasonably selected for the application. The Ford 2v mod-motors will last nearly forever with anything from 0w-20 to 10w-40 and everything in between. And as far as filters go, the hypothesis here on BITOG far, far, far exceeds the proof about how much filter differences matter in short to moderate OCIs (15k miles or less).

Back