2007 Malibu Power Steering Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Malibu threw a power steering fault code at me today. I'm going to investigate it, but I thought I would post it here as well to see what you all thought.

The car is a Chevy Malibu 2LT with electronic power steering, a 3.5L V6 (LZ4), and 53,400 miles on the odometer. I had the original rack and pinion replaced at 19,000 miles due to a bit of noise under braking. Like most of these Malibus the noise came back about 12,000 miles later. I've been using GM Superlube to re-lubricate the steering shafts which makes the noise go away.

While pulling off the interstate onto an exit ramp today I had to stop at the lit intersection. While turning left and slightly accelerating, the alarm chime went off. No lights lit up on the dash, but the driver information center (DIC) had "Power Steering" in it. I checked the manual, and it says there is an issue with it somewhere. It should be noted that I still do have power assist, but it feels like there is less assistance in the wheel.

Given those conditions what do you all think?

Last edited:
IIRC steering assist on these cars is provided by a Valeo electric power steering unit, and it probably needs to be replaced as a unit. Could be something simpler though, and I'd probably start by just disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it a few hours later to see if the code comes back right away.

I once had the "Power Steering" show up on my DIC in my 2007 Malibu. It happened because I left the radio on in the car (long story) and when I found it I guess the battery was almost at the point of being fully discharged as the display was very dim and the message was there. It never came back after I started the car and charged up the battery a bit. Maybe your battery is going bad?

My wife's Maxx has had the rack replaced. The GM sTuperlOOb doesn't last long. WD-40 works better.

As far as the error code, I think you should probably bring it in to get checked. Unfortunately, we're at the mercy of a computer when it comes to EPS. I'll take a pump and belt anyday.

I do the superlube thing with mine every 4 months and it helps keep things quiet and smooth. I've been fortunate not to have the steering error message.

My alldatadiy membership has lapsed, but I think I remember reading something about the error message on there. Also it seems that the lubrication procedure has been revised (new TSB). Sorry I don't have any specifics.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
I once had the "Power Steering" show up on my DIC in my 2007 Malibu. It happened because I left the radio on in the car (long story) and when I found it I guess the battery was almost at the point of being fully discharged as the display was very dim and the message was there. It never came back after I started the car and charged up the battery a bit. Maybe your battery is going bad?

Funny-that actually happened to a friend of mine...

I don't have any errors showing up regarding voltage, but I'll check it out too before I take it in to the dealer.

I talked to a lady on the phone at GM and told her that the symptoms sounded like the 2007 service extention for the 2005 model year. She said if a dealership confirms my suspicions, they may foot the bill for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back