2007 Honda Pilot has two recommended oil weights. What would YOU do?

I bought new a 2007 Honda Pilot 3.5L (v6) EX FWD. This is not a VCM engine. Currently the Pilot has 154K miles. It also has always consumed 3/4 of a quart between OCIs, which are about 6k/7k. High Mileage oil made zero difference in the oil consumption. It currently has a Mobil 110A filter, and I just grabbed a stack of Bosch 3323s to use for the foreseeable future.

At the time I purchased in 2007, the recommended oil for the Pilot was 5w20. Some years later, Honda changed to allow for both 0w20 and 5w20.

I live in New England (US) where we see many days in winter below freezing (32 F or less). I also take it to places in NE where it will see well below 0 temps, but probably not much worse than -10 F. I've been torn about what weight to use. I have both 5w20 and 0w20 in my stash for the Pilot.

Which oil would YOU run? and Why?

Last edited:
As has been noted both are 20-grade oils, neither one is a "weight". Unless you are deep below 0F (around -30F or lower) either winter rating is equivalent.

I'm the oddball that thinks this way: if I lived up North and saw those temps, I'd want a 0W. But, I also know I have a -20 spec vehicle that consumes oil even on HM oils, so I'd want a -30. So my first choice would be a 0W-30. If that isn't easy to find and/or is expensive (usually it's both), then my next choice would be a 0W-20/5W-30 frankenbrew to get me somewhere in the ballpark of a 2W-25.

Edit: I service a 2005 J35A6 regularly and have used everything from 0W-20 to 10W-30. It is one of the least picky engines I've ever serviced. Just keep it full of something and it'll run forever. 224K and still running strong, even the original transmission without any repairs!

Last edited:
Assuming you're burning that 3/4 qt and not leaking it, it's possible the lighter 0w20 (meant to flow quickly when cold) will lead to increased consumption during cold starts. At operating temp, there shouldn't be a difference.... at least, this is what I've read on here....

In reality, 3/4 qt is nothing. If the PCV valve is original, try replacing it.

I'd use the 0w20 during the colder months for better cold start flow, and save the 5w20 for warmer/summer months.

My sister has a 2003 Acura with a 3.2L V6. It consumed a bit of oil at 160k miles with 5w20 synthetic. I stepped it up to a 5w30 synthetic and the consumption stopped, or slowed to an unnoticeable amount. Fuel mileage did not noticeably change either.

I'd use the 0w20 during the colder months for better cold start flow, and save the 5w20 for warmer/summer months.

My sister has a 2003 Acura with a 3.2L V6. It consumed a bit of oil at 160k miles with 5w20 synthetic. I stepped it up to a 5w30 synthetic and the consumption stopped, or slowed to an unnoticeable amount. Fuel mileage did not noticeably change either.
"Flow" is largely irrelevant and there's no guarantee the 0W rated oil will be any thinner than the 5W unless it is below -30F. Up until then the 0W rated oil may be thicker.

I also have a 2007 pilot 2wd. The 2wd is a VCM engine but the awd is not. I installed an SVCM to disable to VCM though. How has the pilot treated you? I bought mine with 171k and have only put about 4K on it. I’ve had to do a lot of minor work to it but it’s a nice vehicle. I’m running a second change with 0w20 Kirkland oil. When I had the valve covers off for the valve adjustment, it looked like it needed some cleaning.

I bought new a 2007 Honda Pilot 3.5L (v6) EX FWD. This is not a VCM engine. Currently the Pilot has 154K miles. It also has always consumed 3/4 of a quart between OCIs, which are about 6k/7k. High Mileage oil made zero difference in the oil consumption. It currently has a Mobil 110A filter, and I just grabbed a stack of Bosch 3323s to use for the foreseeable future.

At the time I purchased in 2007, the recommended oil for the Pilot was 5w20. Some years later, Honda changed to allow for both 0w20 and 5w20.

I live in New England (US) where we see many days in winter below freezing (32 F or less). I also take it to places in NE where it will see well below 0 temps, but probably not much worse than -10 F. I've been torn about what weight to use. I have both 5w20 and 0w20 in my stash for the Pilot.

Which oil would YOU run? and Why?
If its worked for 14 years why would you even consider changing now or realistically even worrying about it?

Non-VCM J series motors really don't much care what you put in them. Whatever makes you happy and sleep well at night. My 2003 J Series is approaching 250k, doesn't use but maybe 1/2 qt over a 7500 mile oil change and has had everything from M1 10W-30 to a 0W-20 in it. Currently I use Havoline 5W30 since I use that across all my cars. I don't like keeping multiple oils here to do changes. (Although the Honda cars currently have the HM version, they will all be getting Pro-DS once I use up the last of the HM)

If its worked for 14 years why would you even consider changing now or realistically even worrying about it?

It would save time, and, perhaps, money. My other car is 0w20 specced, but I would only switch to 0w20 for the Pilot if I would not be causing harm. There may be a good reason why 0w20 was added as an option as well. Hence my original post. Thanks for asking!

You didn't post the maint history of the truck, but you're hitting the age where you'll probably start seeing some seepage from the oil filter area. Culprit is usually the orings in the oil pump and on the filter mount. It won't be a critical fix, but budget an additional $100 in parts and whatever labor the next time the timing belt comes due and have that done as well since you've got to tear the belt out to pull the oil pump anyways.

Its not a hard job, but you have to pull and reseal the oil pan and oil pump and there's 5 or 6 orings that will need changed IIRC.

I have the same engine in my 2007 Ridgeline purchased new. Even if I lived in New England, I'd keep using a 5w-20. Remember that model year originally didn't specify full synthetic. So if you stick with a FS 5w-20 in a high mileage formula, you'll be fine. Also, change that PCV valve if it hasn't been done. I must be lucky. My motor uses no oil between changes, and it has seen mostly 5w-20 syn blends at an average 5,500 mile OCI.

But the bigger point is that with your mileage, using 3/4 quart every 7K miles is insignificant.

Last edited:
So I found that Honda seems to recommend 0w20 over 5w20. I just have to wonder if they decided that 0w20 was superior, and this is their way of getting people over to 0w20 while not admitting 5w20 is a mistake.

My source:

honda fluids.JPG

Back