2007 Honda Accord airbag recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this question on another topic as well.

My 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT sedan purchased in Canada is not subject to an airbag recall. But as near as I can tell, it would have been if it had been purchased in the US.

Are the vehicles actually different or is there a different recall standard?

Does anyone in the US have the same model? If yes, has it been subject to any recalls (especially for driver's or passenger's airbags)?

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Your airbag may have been manufactured by another company.

Yes that's possible. But for a low volume vehicle (the V6 6MT sedans are actually rare) there's a good chance they were the same. And as far as I know the 2007 Accords sold in Canada were made in the US.

In addition, both the driver's and the passenger's side airbags have been recalled in the US and neither has been in Canada.

It will be recalled. Just wait.

My 2006 Mustang was only recalled in the U.S. - Ford Canada assured me that it did not have the same defective parts. Nonsense, I said. Two months later, I get a recall notice in the mail.

We're 'second class' customers and Canada has much smaller personal injury payouts than the U.S. so that's probably why they rest on their laurels when it comes to recalls in Canada.

Trust me, if the airbag looks the same as the U.S. one or the one on other recalled cars, it's pretty well guaranteed to be the same type of defective airbag.

I also believe that the airbags were more likely to fail in hot humid weather as the propellant used wasn't that stable in those conditions. With the colder weather in Canada, it's just a numbers game, they figure it's less likely to happen, but probably still have the same bad parts. So they probably want to make parts to fix the ones that are more likely to be affected first in the US before getting around to doing the ones in Canada.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I posted this question on another topic as well.

My 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT sedan purchased in Canada is not subject to an airbag recall. But as near as I can tell, it would have been if it had been purchased in the US.

Are the vehicles actually different or is there a different recall standard?

Does anyone in the US have the same model? If yes, has it been subject to any recalls (especially for driver's or passenger's airbags)?

Afaik my 07 3.0L Accord AT has not been subject to the recall. Least ways not that I've been informed.

Yes that's possible. But for a low volume vehicle (the V6 6MT sedans are actually rare) there's a good chance they were the same. And as far as I know the 2007 Accords sold in Canada were made in the US.

In addition, both the driver's and the passenger's side airbags have been recalled in the US and neither has been in Canada.

Canada Domestic Market (CDM) vehicles differ significantly from United States Domestic Market (USDM) vehicles. In some cases the cost to convert a USDM vehicle to CDM, which is mandatory before you can register it for road-going operation, runs into the five figures.

You need to replace all the window glass, for example. In most cases you need to replace the Engine Management Computer or Body & Frame Computer, or both, to comply with anti-theft regulations which are stricter in Canada. And so on. Some models cannot be converted, period, and therefore cannot be imported into Canada from the USA, until they are old enough to be exempt (15 years, last time I checked).

Where the vehicle is manufactured is irrelevant ... they are made to the requirements of the market where they are sold regardless of the physical location of the factory.

It is quite possible for any given model that the airbags that meet CDM are not the same as the airbags that meet USDM, so they will be different, even when they come down the same manufacturing line on the same day.

Transport Canada will issue a joint recall simultaneous with American regulators when the part is identical and the failure mode is identical in both markets.

80% of the airbags used by OEMs are not made by Takata.

If your vehicle is affected, you will get a notice in the mail, provided you are registered with the manufacturer as the owner of the vehicle. If you did not buy the car new from the dealer, contact Honda and have them associate the VIN with you and your address.

The powertrain configuration doesn't affect the airbag so it's not a low volume vehicle in that regard.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I also believe that the airbags were more likely to fail in hot humid weather as the propellant used wasn't that stable in those conditions. With the colder weather in Canada, it's just a numbers game, they figure it's less likely to happen, but probably still have the same bad parts. So they probably want to make parts to fix the ones that are more likely to be affected first in the US before getting around to doing the ones in Canada.

Likely correct. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling though.

I think it's more likely that americans will sue too, which likely figures into the decision making.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Transport Canada will issue a joint recall simultaneous with American regulators when the part is identical and the failure mode is identical in both markets.

If your vehicle is affected, you will get a notice in the mail, provided you are registered with the manufacturer as the owner of the vehicle. If you did not buy the car new from the dealer, contact Honda and have them associate the VIN with you and your address.

Bought new from a Honda dealer. I get advertising from the dealer so they have my contact information.

I'm not as confident that Transport Canada is on the case though.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Ecotourist, why don't you just call Honda of Canada and ask if the vehicle is affected by the recall?

Good idea. I think I'll do that. But Honda Canada hasn't been too responsive in the past. They make a good car but after that, well...

For example (according to my dealer) Honda engineering could not find anything wrong with the 6 speed manual transmission they replaced on my car. I would have thought jumping out of gear as many as 3 times in a block (on a gradual down-slope, in stop and go traffic) would have been associated with "something".

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Afaik my 07 3.0L Accord AT has not been subject to the recall. Least ways not that I've been informed.

Here's a website to check by model or better yet by VIN number.

http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/takatalist.html

It won't accept my Canadian VIN.

I was already registered on linked site below so they had my VIN. Checked for recalls.. 0 Open recalls.

So my 07 Accord has no airbag recall at this time.

http://owners.honda.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back