2007 Ford Explorer 4.0 XLT

Just picked up a 2007 Ford Explorer 4x4 with 85k miles for 4k. One owner and well maintained. I know the 4.0 motors have an issue with the plastic thermostat housings failing. Is there an aftermarket fix for this? I thought about keeping a stock replacement on hand in case it develops a leak. The swap looks very easy, almost easy enough to do in a parking lot if needed. Any experiences with this thermostat housing out there?

I owned many Ford Explorers for my work. Most were 2007 4.0 SOHC They were very reliable with several over 200,000 miles. However one broke a valve spring at 120,000 or so. One tranny went out a little over 95,000 miles (extended warranty covered repairs) and one of our white 2007's the paint just started coming off. Roof rusted, rear side panels...even the primer was shot. Never a problem like you mentioned. I hope it serves you well

This is considered the best by many...

I got a no-brand one from Parts Geek as a spare, but the casting could be better. Lots of pits and stuff, not sure if I will use it. The Simmons requires new sensors to work on my older model.

I would not want to replace the thermostat housing on one of these in a parking lot, but usually it's not an emergency repair. Getting hoses back on is the hard part.

I owned many Ford Explorers for my work. Most were 2007 4.0 SOHC They were very reliable with several over 200,000 miles. However one broke a valve spring at 120,000 or so. One tranny went out a little over 95,000 miles (extended warranty covered repairs) and one of our white 2007's the paint just started coming off. Roof rusted, rear side panels...even the primer was shot. Never a problem like you mentioned. I hope it serves you well
Ok, that is good to hear. The reliability of these motors is good to know. I would hope the valve spring issue is just a one off and since we live in AZ, rust should not affect the body. The PO changed the tranny fluid every 30k so that should prolong the life a bit.

This is considered the best by many...

I got a no-brand one from Parts Geek as a spare, but the casting could be better. Lots of pits and stuff, not sure if I will use it. The Simmons requires new sensors to work on my older model.

I would not want to replace the thermostat housing on one of these in a parking lot, but usually it's not an emergency repair. Getting hoses back on is the hard part.
I will pick one of these metal housings up. It looks like a more robust design than OEM.

Back