2007 Ford Edge - Family member getting one for free

Hi all. Wondering if anyone has experience with the 2007 Ford Edge. A family member is soon returning from the mission field and someone is going to give them a 2007 Edge for free. Dont know much about the specific vehicle, but do know that it has 200,000 miles, new tires and a new transmission. Please share any experiences that you think will help me help them when they get it...

I briefly looked at these because you can get a big sunroof on them, but they were only made with the V6 back then, and transverse V6 designs are horrible! Even without the Ford water pump issue

My sister got my parents 2010 Taurus with the same engine. The water pump just failed at 240k miles. The repair is probably about what the car is worth but since it was driven several hundred miles after they noticed coolant disappearing...the timing chains stated to rattle on cold start and the check engine light came on for a variable valve timing code. So probably a used engine is the best option at this point for whoever wants to fix it. We found a 2005 Camry to replace it.

My girlfriend's sister has an 07 edge. It's only got 100k on it but age also probably is a factor in the water pumps failing. The transmission was replaced at like 80k miles. A seal fails on the and leaks until they run low and destroy themselves. The new transmission should have an updated seal. When the water pump fails it will get scrapped.

If I remember, they have two issues to worry about...water pump ruining the entire engine and the front differential going because people don’t change the fluid (and because ford calls it lifetime). Probably around $2,000 for a new one installed...half that for a used one.
Honestly other than that they’re pretty reliable and these issues can be prevented. I know a guy who puts over 200,000 on these things (he’s owned two). One he drove off a road into a tree with. The other, he had to put a front differential in - but this guy beats the snot out of this stuff - maintenance is merely a suggestion with him.

If I remember, they have two issues to worry about...water pump ruining the entire engine and the front differential going because people don’t change the fluid (and because ford calls it lifetime). Probably around $2,000 for a new one installed...half that for a used one.
Honestly other than that they’re pretty reliable and these issues can be prevented. I know a guy who puts over 200,000 on these things (he’s owned two). One he drove off a road into a tree with. The other, he had to put a front differential in - but this guy beats the snot out of this stuff - maintenance is merely a suggestion with him.
I forgot about the transfer case failure issue, that is a big one too. My girlfriend's sisters is fwd.

I've seen several Tauruses go over 200k too but they racked up those miles fast. Almost no issues in that time, but when the water pump fails it can easily be a write off.

I forgot about the transfer case failure issue, that is a big one too. My girlfriend's sisters is fwd.

I've seen several Tauruses go over 200k too but they racked up those miles fast. Almost no issues in that time, but when the water pump fails it can easily be a write off.
Honestly, I think if you someone can just keep up with the maintenance on an Edge (and that’s not hard at all), then they can last a long time. But the margin for error really is catastrophic with these SUV’s.

Back