2007 F-150 5.4L Motorcraft Synth Blend 5W20 2.8k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys. Just wanted to post this up here. This is a 2,815 mi interval on Motorcraft SB 5W20.

This truck gets driven very short trips and doesn't see a whole lot of warm up, so I change it early. I saw a slight tick up in aluminum this interval. I know this is only my 2nd UOA, but is it normal for that to happen every now and again? You can see on my last interval, iron was higher and aluminum was lower. This time iron was lower, but aluminum was higher, lol. Thanks in advance...

Those numbers are meaningless. It's PP Million your talking about. If you had this sample tested at another lab the PPM would no doubt be different.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still learning how to read this stuff. Pretty foreign to me, still. I guess as long as the truck doesn't blow up, I am happy. Lol.
smile.gif

That's a real short OCI but its good to see your wear metals are in the single digits. You seem to have a healthy motor. Enjoy it!

Thanks for the replies. I would definitely go longer on my intervals, but since it takes me 6-7 months to go 3k, I just go ahead and change it.

I'm glad it gives good readings because it seems the 5.4 in this year truck was garbage. But with 144k, it's still running good.

As Tig said - 1 ppm Al is in the margin of error. With the low mileage you're doing, I'd just keep it topped off and change yearly.

3-4 ppm AL is in the fresh oil when you pour the oil outta the bottle into your car. Great report no wear!

The Ford mod-motors typically wear extremely well. This is in line with what would be expected.
Typical variation will always show a bit of up/down a few ppm; this is also expected.

There is no reason not to extend the OCIs; you're throwing away perfectly good lube. I realize that it seems hard to overcome that propensity to OCI; it's the BITOG equivalent of OCD. But I can assure you with great certainty that going past that "or 6 months" (or one year, etc) mark isn't going to harm the engine one iota. I will routinely run three year OCIs in some of my lower use equipment like my Dmax truck, Kubota tractor, classic Mustang. All the UOAs from those multi-year OCIs come back just fine.

Your contamination is very low. Your wear metals are very low. Your vis and FP are fine.

If you don't extend your OCIs, then you're essentially doubling down on waste, because not only are you throwing away perfectly serviceable lube, but also ignoring good data you paid for in the UOA.

Last edited:
I have to say that David Newton is quite correct here. Run your Motorcraft for double this mileage and see what results you get. Then run 7500-8500 miles and see where it would be at. This way you are truly utilising the UOAs information.

That having been stated... I am very happy to see that your truck is doing so good. And that you are taking very good care of it.

Here is something for consideration.

Admittedly, this is a diesel UOA on a large engine; it's not the "same". But the point to take from this is that lubes can last a LOT longer than most folks think.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4395007/1/12.7_Detroit,_11_years_on_oil
This oil was in use for about 12k miles (give or take a bit), and then the vehicle sat unused for 11 years. ELEVEN!!!
And then it was fired up, driven 30 miles, and UOA'd.

If you're going to pay for UOAs, and the data clearly shows extension is warranted, then either heed the advice you're paying for, or just ignore it and quit wasting money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back