2007 BMW X5 (4.8), EDGE 0W-40, 5k OCI, 108k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is another (boring) 5,000 mile run of Castrol EDGE 0W-40 (Mann oil filter). It sees mainly short trips around town, with little highway miles. Included in this sample were 1.5 bottles of ATP AT-205 Re-Seal to try and stop oil consumption through the valve stem seals. It appears to have marginally worked, but not worth the cost in my oppinion.

Refilled with Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage and a Mann filter. Hopefully it can perform as well as the Castrol from a wear/viscosity standpoint. It's one of the only (if not THE only) non-GF-5 high mileage 30-weights. It has near identical specs and add-pack to a typical LL-01 oil. Trying to slow oil consumption. No noticeable change in engine sound, feel, smoothness, etc. Will sample at 5,000 miles and report back.

Link to previous UOA thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I see the 1015 ppm Zinc. . Is this the AECA A3/B4 version.?

I’ve never heard of another version of EDGE 0W-40. It’s A3/B4, Porsche A40, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 502.

Last edited:
2 qts of make up oil added in 5,000 miles? Your engine consumes a lot or leaks a lot.

After adding like 2qts, I would think you can safely go atleast 7,500 before an oil change.

Originally Posted By: PetitFrereArmada
2 qts of make up oil added in 5,000 miles? Your engine consumes a lot or leaks a lot.

After adding like 2qts, I would think you can safely go atleast 7,500 before an oil change.

No leaks. It’s all consumption through the valve stem seals. Typical older N62 engine problem. And I know I can certainly go longer.

Originally Posted By: PetitFrereArmada

Some BMWs use oil, others don't. The N55 in my F22 uses no oil between 10,000 mile oil changes, while the M42 in my E36/5 uses a quart every 2,500 miles, and has done so since I bought it new nearly 23 years ago. It's now at 144,000 miles and has been retired from HPDE duty, so I'm not about to start worrying about it.

Edge 0w-40 with no to low magnesium? Over the past several years I can't keep up with their formulation changes. One year magnesium and lower calcium....the next year back to no mg and high calcium.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Edge 0w-40 with no to low magnesium? Over the past several years I can't keep up with their formulation changes. One year magnesium and lower calcium....the next year back to no mg and high calcium.

I have never seen EDGE 0W-40 with magnesium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back