2007 and newer 2AZ-FE engine overfill of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I manage a quick lube and including my 2009 Toyota Camry it seems that the rec. quanity of 4.5 qts is too much oil by a third to a quarter over. Rather it be a Highlander, Camry, or a Rav 4 it seems to overfill. To reduce overfilling I just put in 4.25 qts instead of 4.5 and it brings it to full. Anyone on here have an experience with this? I really did'nt notice it until I overfilled my car by using what the book calls for. Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

If you let it drain for an hour or so you may hit that 4.5Q.

I have an 02 with a 4.0Q oil pan. I can hit that perfect w 4Q only if I let it drain for an hour.

Not a way to make money with a quick lube, I know.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
They did change thee oil pan the same time they went 5W20.

They went from 4 Qts to 4.6 Qts. They must have changed the oil capacity with a different oil pan.

My '09 takes 4.5 qts and dipstick is right on.

In my case, I have to wait 15-20 minutes for the dipstick to read properly.

My '05 took 4 qts and dipstick was also right on.

FWIW.

I've got an 09 Hybrid with the 2AZ-FXE, but it sounds like it has the same capacity. I undo the drain plug and let it get going. Meanwhile, I end up messing with the filter -- being so tantalizingly visible, yet such a pain to get off. By the time I have the old filter off, and the new installed, that's enough time for the flow to be reduced to a slow drip-drop. When I fill, it's at or very near the published quantity. But as suggested above, I'm not doing this "per time" to make a living.

My mother has an '07 2.4L Camry, which got an OC last week. Four and half quarts put the level right at the full mark. I did let the oil drain for a half hour before refilling, though.

Make sure the car is on a level surface when taking readings.

Last edited:
Our 2007 camry manual calls for 4.3 quarts. I have put exactly that amount in and have also done 4.5 quarts. I can barely see a difference on the dipstick.

My mom's 2002 Camry said to use 4.2 QT, but with 4qt of oil, the dipstick is right on the mark.

How many times can Toyota change the oil fill on the same engine?

Originally Posted By: Droopy
I manage a quick lube and including my 2009 Toyota Camry it seems that the rec. quanity of 4.5 qts is too much oil by a third to a quarter over. Rather it be a Highlander, Camry, or a Rav 4 it seems to overfill. To reduce overfilling I just put in 4.25 qts instead of 4.5 and it brings it to full. Anyone on here have an experience with this? I really did'nt notice it until I overfilled my car by using what the book calls for. Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

1/4 of a qt +/- shouldn't really matter too much. My 3.0L Ford calls for 4.5 qts I've put 5 qts in it for years w/o any problems, so being over filled by 8 ounces shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back