2007 Accord?

I believe any of the 03-07 5 speed autos aside the 3.0 v6 are glass. At least that's what research was telling me when an ex had one.

Never had a transmission issue out of it. But it did do a weird thing when put in drive; it would engage for half a second, then disengage, then engage again.

That car was driven to 140 or 150K I believe and sold. It never had a timing belt done on it in 2015 or 2016 when it was sold. 11 years on the original belt.

Side and curtain airbags are must haves in a car for a young driver IMO. Older low mileage Grandma cars might have front airbags only, + side airbags (maybe), but not curtain airbags. Stability control would be good as well, but generally found only on newer more expensive used cars.
Our '07 Accord k24 (bought new) has been a great car, no problems yet. Just routine maintenance.
Most members on this site will tell you that defensive driving and good driving skills are more important than any safety features.

You're right that good driving skills and defensive driving are very important. But when things go wrong a car with all the airbags could make a big difference in the outcome of an accident.
This.
A big motivation for my latest vehicle change was to gain side airbags

If it's not rusty, and it shifts well, it'd make a very nice first car

My first car was a 225 hp Camry SE V6, and I didn't even wrap it around a pole once 🤷‍♂️

I believe any of the 03-07 5 speed autos aside the 3.0 v6 are glass. At least that's what research was telling me when an ex had one.

Never had a transmission issue out of it. But it did do a weird thing when put in drive; it would engage for half a second, then disengage, then engage again.

That car was driven to 140 or 150K I believe and sold. It never had a timing belt done on it in 2015 or 2016 when it was sold. 11 years on the original belt.

They were largely fixed with the 4 shaft units by the mid-2000's.

As for the weird thing, they all do it. From what I've read it is engaging 2nd and then 1st gear. Why? I have not a clue, I just accept it as normal and wait the extra second it takes. Only thing I can figure is that it takes some of the shock out of engaging the gears.

Back