2007 Accord?

V6, 170k, automatic. From what I can tell, this doesn't have the glass transmission. But it's still 170k, nearly 17 years in salty NH, who knows what's wrong (haven't called to find out), and V6/sunroof/alloys (want a car for the daughter who might pass her driver's test tomorrow). Only reason I noticed this car is that it was parked on the side of the road on the trip to the transfer station (ironic as some of my best finds are for free there). First glance showed the typical battle scars, didn't get under it yet, but rear wheel wells didn't look bad (parked in grass, wasn't going to roll around with the ticks).

Timing belt V6 so loads of fun when it's due, but no VCM, not sure what else to worry about. Low profile tires and sunroof leaks? Insurance costs with a teen driver? Seems like the wrong vehicle, but when something in price range pops up in one's backyard, one tends to notice.

Also living in the rust belt, I say pass. My daughter's test is Thursday, so she can drive my '12 Subaru until I find something less than 15 years old at a fair price.

After price, it would all boil down to rust for me. I do my own work and J Series timing belts are just about the easiest timing belt job out there.

If the trans has had some fluid changes it should be the 4 shaft unit and good for 2-300k if reasonably maintained.

Chances are, kid is going to wreck their first car so best not to spend a ton on it.

17 years in the rust belt though.....ehh, you'd have to look really close.

17 years in the NE has to mean its rusty somewhere, right?

Well there is always atikovi's lime green Saturn for short money.

Last edited:
17 years in the NE has to mean its rusty somewhere, right?

Well there is always atikovi's lime green Saturn for short money.
Yep. If I set something up, I plan to with my floor jack (tbh it now lives in the trunk) and give a good look. Although I am toying with, for the first time, paying a shop to do an inspection—a lot of money for this car, and the shop is less than 30 minutes away.

But V6 and teen driver? seems like a non starter.

As for atikovi’s car, interesting, but a 2 door, again bad for insurance. Plus no side airbags.

As for atikovi’s car, interesting, but a 2 door, again bad for insurance. Plus no side airbags.
I understand the no side airbags, but I doubt the insurance cost would be an issue (2 door vs 4 door) on a car of that age.

I know you are probably searching for a Japanese car if you can find one, but don't discount the Chevy Cobalt / Cruze and whatever GM corporate siblings they had at the time. I had really good luck with a Cobalt and it was certainly a better, more comfortable car than the equivalent Corolla or Civic.

I guess in the northeast rust is the primary driver on whether to buy or pass on any used car. Good luck.

I guess I don't understand the V6 and new driver concerns...kids can't handle over 200 hp?
She might, she might not. I mean, she drives around in my 138hp Camry (which probably has 100 left?). But can I handle the insurance? She's not working a job, instead has school and after school activities, so I get to foot the bill. Why spend more than I need to? Trying to go for least cost, most safe, best path as she goes down the path to the point where she's on her own in the world here.

Get the least-rusty 4-cylinder car you can afford. And then rustproof it.

Also living in the rust belt, I say pass. My daughter's test is Thursday, so she can drive my '12 Subaru until I find something less than 15 years old at a fair price.

or something that's been Krowned :)

The good news is that Canada got the Micra until 2020, and it still used a 4-speed automatic until the very end. so no CVT to worry about :D

I guess I don't understand the V6 and new driver concerns...kids can't handle over 200 hp?

The problem with the Accord V6 is the timing belt, getting that crank bolt off after all that rust :sneaky:

This is a very nice generation of Accord and is a joy to drive, as well as being reliable to a fault. My mother had a Gen 7, and it was so much more enjoyable to drive than was my old Gen 8.
I don't think a young new driver needs the V-6, although you know your own child and she may be one who can keep her foot out of the loud pedal.
For that kind of coin, I doubt you'd find anything better, assuming it doesn't look too rusty underneath.
Older Honda Accords were not especially prone to rust.

Reactions: hrv
V6, 170k, automatic. From what I can tell, this doesn't have the glass transmission. But it's still 170k, nearly 17 years in salty NH, who knows what's wrong (haven't called to find out), and V6/sunroof/alloys (want a car for the daughter who might pass her driver's test tomorrow). Only reason I noticed this car is that it was parked on the side of the road on the trip to the transfer station (ironic as some of my best finds are for free there). First glance showed the typical battle scars, didn't get under it yet, but rear wheel wells didn't look bad (parked in grass, wasn't going to roll around with the ticks).

Timing belt V6 so loads of fun when it's due, but no VCM, not sure what else to worry about. Low profile tires and sunroof leaks? Insurance costs with a teen driver? Seems like the wrong vehicle, but when something in price range pops up in one's backyard, one tends to notice.
Why not take a month to find a car, set bookmarks in your browser with the filters you want, and be ready to act on a moment's notice with cash in hand when those rare older cars show up with 40k miles belonging to a retired person who is now too old to drive, and whose children are selling the car (probably garaged it's whole life), and be the first on the trigger finger to buy it.
Even though a car like that would have a higher selling price, your long term repair bills will be tiny compared to buying a car with 170k miles.

Technically it's a 4 door, hence the name Quad coupe.

102.JPG

I have a 2007 Accord EX-L 4 door, V6, 6MT. Bought new. It's been a great car. It has very little rust and that is only found on the side that the deer took out when it was nearly new.

The only down side - the expensive to replace timing belt. It's no slug but it's much slower than my Tesla.

I may give it to one of my grand-kids once they know how to drive.

Seems to me that someone just put a million miles on one of these with the V6 - but it might have been the 2-door.

The v6 is not an issue really. A modern base Accord with 1.5t is quicker…..

Drive it and check closely for rust. For <=$4k and first car this is not forever……

Side and curtain airbags are must haves in a car for a young driver IMO. Older low mileage Grandma cars might have front airbags only, + side airbags (maybe), but not curtain airbags. Stability control would be good as well, but generally found only on newer more expensive used cars.
Our '07 Accord k24 (bought new) has been a great car, no problems yet. Just routine maintenance.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
Back