2007 Accord transmission plug gunk ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
so im doing the 3 quart transmisssion service on the accord and notice some pretty nasty black gunk on the drain plug. When i flushed the transmission a few years back i dont recal any black gunk on the plug. its been maybe 20,000 miles since i did the full flush and the fluid i just dropped was still fairly clean, only a tinge darker than the new pink fluid. Anyone else ever notice this black gunk on a otherwise clean transmission service ? the best way i can describe it is black grease on the magnetic portion of the plug.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
so im doing the 3 quart transmisssion service on the accord and notice some pretty nasty black gunk on the drain plug. When i flushed the transmission a few years back i dont recal any black gunk on the plug. its been maybe 20,000 miles since i did the full flush and the fluid i just dropped was still fairly clean, only a tinge darker than the new pink fluid. Anyone else ever notice this black gunk on a otherwise clean transmission service ? the best way i can describe it is black grease on the magnetic portion of the plug.

Normal wear from the transmission. Just the magnet collecting metal, I would be surprised if it wasn't there. Clean plug and re install.

Last edited:
+1
If the Accord had a pan that you could drop and maybe replace the filter, that pan would have a magnet covered in a grey paste.
The grey paste is normal metal wear form the tranny.
You'd find the clutch pack wear in little piles on the bottom of the pan.
Automatics wear just as manuals, engines, diffs, transfer cases and power steering pumps do.
Normal and expected.
I also do wonder how much of the bad rep certain Honda automatics earned was the result of a filter that couldn't be replaced as it loaded and clogged off the flow of ATF?

Every time I've changed the transmission fluid in a Honda or Acura, there was a black gooey paste on the plug. It's normal in my experience. My transmission is still going strong in my Acura 20 years and 211,000 miles later.

Just the magnet on the tip of the plug attracting iron wear. If the color was still pinkish i think your on the right track doing 3 quarts every 20k.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just the magnet on the tip of the plug attracting iron wear. If the color was still pinkish i think your on the right track doing 3 quarts every 20k.

my plan for this car is every 15,000-20,000 do 3 quarts of tranny fluid.. The dealer suggests every 30,000 however the fluids not very expensive and its super easy to change, id rather stay on the safe side. I hope i can claim 200,000 miles on the factory transmission down the road.

i do 10k/yr. i change atf every 2 years (3.5 quarts d&f). even at $8/quart, which is what $30? i don't think that's going to kill the pocketbook. and i sleep better at night. LOL

there is a serviceable filter for the 5AT on the i4, and likely for V6 as well. there were some discussion of failed pressure sensor switch for 3 or 4 gear that may cause more wear. you can look into these and see if they are the reason. on my own Honda/acura, there were definitely more dirt or ferrous materials on the initial drail and fill, but not much after, however I do drain/fill quite often, less than 20,000km.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
What ATF are you using ?

Shorten your interval and keep driving.

im using the Honda fluid.

ON/OFF topic, how are you checking your fluid level on your ATF ? Hot ? Cold ? are you doing that shifting through the gears stuff (rather long) "correct" way of checking the tranny fluid.. how do you do it ? just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back