2007 Accord 2.4L Valve Cover Photos - 45k miles of synthetic oil

based on your experience, sounds like it's hard to remove varnish once established and best is to avoid or minimize it to begin with.

Assuming that the previous conventional oil caused the varnish ... Would it be safe to say if a good syn (EP or Amsoil) was used from the beginning , we would not have the varnish?
Not exactly the same engine, but these photos are from a 11 Accord 2.4 with about 110k. This engine has only seen 10k oil changes. Most were with EP 0w20, but some were with other brands of 0w20 synthetic. You be the judge.

Attachments

• 47E2D20E-02EB-4320-A062-47131E277337.jpeg
    47E2D20E-02EB-4320-A062-47131E277337.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 159
  • A817D0E4-F1BD-4C0F-A3A4-2652F1D16899.jpeg
    A817D0E4-F1BD-4C0F-A3A4-2652F1D16899.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 159
With different lighting it's hard to compare but the syn looks better but they are different engines, operating environments, etc. So many variables ...
Based on pics, I would go with the syn. The 10K oci alone is saving you time and money vs. the 5K oci. Also theoretically syn is better than dino ...

Notice the intake cam, the cam lobe for the right hand side valve has a much higher lift than the cam actuating the left hand side valve. What gives?

You're looking at VTECH cams. There's only one lobe for intake/exhaust, the third lobe is switched in and out by the ECM and takes over for the 'regular' intake lobe (or is it exhaust, I can't remember off the top of my head)

Last edited:
Not exactly the same engine, but these photos are from a 11 Accord 2.4 with about 110k. This engine has only seen 10k oil changes. Most were with EP 0w20, but some were with other brands of 0w20 synthetic. You be the judge.
Looks good but are both engines ran the same? One could be much more wide open interstate or more stop and go.

The 11 saw mostly highway driving. 07 is mostly city.
Thanks as that is why oil change interval is not universal. In my particular case I have tried to come up with an interval and a oil but can't settle. Owners manual states 4k severe and OLM regular or 10k 1 year. I did 6 months which's comes out 3.5k. These pictures (different motor) just confirmed my experience.

We need to think where is the varnish? Pull on the bearing cap to see what varnish is there.

Wait, I need some clarification...

The second pic from 2020 is AFTER the Blue Restore was added into the mix, in an effort to clean up the GOLD color??? 🤔

What oil was used? Same oil and filter or different combos over the year?
for majority of its life it was dino oil used by variety of manufacturers with 5W-20 grade as same as goes for the oil filters; however, I was changing oil for 3K religiously; around 200K mark I started to used 5w-20 synthetics. Keep in your mind I was not original owner of the car; I inherited it at 49K miles; originally, it was registered in NY state as a fleet car; Super smooth car to this day

2nd.

What oil was your mainstay?
honestly, a variety of oil brands but I stuck to 5W-20 only over the years; It is testament to that MZR engine by Mazda since there are more people on this forum who achieved the same results; these engines along with FNR5 transmission are well known for its reliability and endurance in Mazda and Ford products

Back