2007 350Z Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first car I've owned to care what oil it gets. So I'd like your suggestions. Also looking for filter recommendations, as I know nothing except Fram sucks. This is the HR motor with 55k on it.

Usage: DD, weekend fun driver. I don't romp on it till it's warm. It sees probably 50/50 highway/city use. Rarely driven slowly, but not driven hard very often.

I'd like to go longer between changes than 3k, but not looking to break any records.
smile.gif

I live in MD for climate considerations.

Thanks!

At my friend's G35 repair shop, we usually fill them with Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 and an EA filter and advise the customers to run it for 7500-10k with top-offs.

Of course, just about any 5w-30 oil will be adequate as long as you utilize appropriate intervals.

I know a 30 weight is probally all you need, by the way nice car, I would run a forty weight if i was lucky enough to own a Z. Just my 2 cent

Any OTS 5w30 synthetic is good. My parents have the same motors in their Infinitis and have run Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 for years -- UOAs are nearly flawless.

If you track it, that's a different story.

So, a 2007MY car is under warranty until at least 60k. Using a 40wt is not going to do that warranty any favors.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to look up all the abbreviations you all used so I can completely understand what you all said lol.

I just put in Castrol Edge 0w30. Car calls for 5w30, but 0w-30 should be better for winter starts. Be careful with your oil filter choice as well. Right now I have a Mobil 1 filter and had one startup rattle issue. Mobil 1 is supposed to be a good filter, but I'm going with an OEM Nissan filter next just to be safe.

Dont think the oem is better than the mobil filter. I cut one open and it looked ok but it had cardboard endcaps. The wix one for me was only half the can worth of element and im trying a toughguard now with a napa next. Im cutting those next.

Rockauto sells Denso oil filters which are similar to OE and have a silicone ADBV. Get 6 or a dozen and be set for a while. Even better if you have multiple cars which can use the same size filter.

PU, PP, M1, QSUD, Synpower (I prefer pennzoil ultra) 5w-30.

With a Bosch DistancePlus, Fram Ultra, or Purolator Synthetic filter every 7500 miles.

If you road race it, switch to a 5w-40 for that event.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: abycat
Dont think the oem is better than the mobil filter. I cut one open and it looked ok but it had cardboard endcaps. The wix one for me was only half the can worth of element and im trying a toughguard now with a napa next. Im cutting those next.

I'm afraid to ask what you paid for the OEM filter. It's probably similarly priced to the M1 or the XG.
wink.gif

The Wix's base end bypass seems to swallow a lot of space on these little Nissan filters, as we've seen in some pictures here. By the way, if you want a good deal, being in Canada, if you have to order a few things, get Bosch Premiums from Autopartsway. You'll get them for under $5 a piece, with free shipping if you order $75 or more. There should be a Christmas deal coming out to, probably with a whopping 5% discount.
wink.gif

Is it a manual?

The HR motor is 'hard' on oil due to the clearances, rev limits and most of all, the timing chain setup.

Do yourself a favor and run an oil with a high HTHS (3.0 or higher). Castrol 0w30 (German castrol, GC) made in Germany to stick with a w30 or mobil1 0w40. Heck, I am running a mix of 5w30 and 0w40 in my VQ40 and it is showing great results. Will be posting the UOA in a week when I find the time after the holiday. The 5k results supported and 8-10k run so that is what I am planning.

WIX/napa gold filters ae great but for 5k, purolator golds (P1s) are king since they can be had for ~3 bucks each on sale with coupons.

Personally, I would run a 50/50 of 0w40 and 5w30HM or EP with a P1 for 10k and change the filter at 5k with an 0w40 top off.

We have had a ragtop 350z in the family since late 05 and it has been very reliable. It happily runs well on whatever I put in it.

Last change was M1 0w-40, but I have put almost any synthetic on sale in it without anyone ever noticing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back