2006 volvo xc90 170kmiles 5500.obo

any opinions?? yea/na....looks well maintained..hypothetically if it drives well, and all checks out what do you think??? from the pictures I see zero rust. obviously will check underneath this car is in Iowa and I believe most if not all its life...

copy from FB...
2006 367577657422824 XC90 · Suv · Driven 170,000 miles
Runs great! Brand new rear brakes put on today. New front brakes put on 3 months ago. Tires like brand new! Only 2,000 miles on them. Everything works! A/C, heat, radio, cd player, rear sensors, sunroof, powered driver and passenger seats, heated seats. V8, AWD, tow package. Transmission flush done in 2021 at 150,000 miles. This Volvo has been great to me! Just upgrading!

Solid vehicle overall but no way to tell from your post if all is well with a particular vehicle. Are there records? Anything else to give us to help your decision? Without additional, I would not be buying a vehicle with unknown care at 170k. And I am a higher mileage kida guy.

I own a 2006 XC90 5 cyl. Only 77000 miles, yes that original miles after aal these years.

The problem tha I have encountered is this, the left rear wheel bearing froze and needed to be replaced. That also replacing the left rear driveshaft all under warranty.

As a side note, the V8 engine had an exposed camshaft bearing on the drives side. The camshaft on the early V8 was exposed between the banks in the bottom of the valley of the crankcase/heads Water will collect in the valley causing rust on the camshaft and rust forms on the camshaft bearing tearing the seal and the left side of the engine can. /Has broken off ------------
well, you will need a new engine.

Later versions of the V8 were corrected/modified at the MFG.

Do a Google search

If the engine is the 2.5 lt 5 cylinder Turbo no issues at least on/in the car I own

CONVERT

Do a Google search

If the engine is the 2.5 lt 5 cylinder Turbo no issues at least on/in the car I own

CONVERT

This. The V8 had a few unique problems as it was a low(er)-volume, non-Volvo powerplant (Yamaha). Ask in the appropriate swedespeed sub-forum, for example.

The general platform is great; I've had several P2 volvos and astro14 here knows them really well. I'd like to get a P2 V90, go through it, and give it to my parents to use. But I'd get a 2.5t for commonality and reliability. And I'm a V8 fan in general. "Boutique" engines get to be a hassle after this many years and miles unless you are a dedicated enthusiast.

If you do have a high degree of mechanical skill/experience, and your due diligence wrt the V8, it could be great. I'm not trying to be a complete naysayer.

Last edited:
I’d prefer it in t5 form, as the engines are durable and easy to work on, over the v8, however that comes with the expense of being a slow car. I’m actually not sure if the t5 was offered in the v90 or if I’m thinking of a v70. I’ve had 3 Volvos with that mileage and DD’d them daily plus out of state at any time. Volvos of that era, when maintained, have the DNA to last a long, long time.

Back