2006 Tundra, UOA #6, w/particle counts and TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Submitted below for your review is the 6th UOA on my 2006 Toyota Tundra, with 4.7 liter V8 engine. In all 6 UOAs, I have included particle counts and TBN.

If you've been following my series of UOAs on this engine, you'll recall I've been using the particle counts to compare the Amsoil EaO filters with the Mobil 1 filters. In this latest UOA, I used yet another Mobil 1 M1-209 filter, which is an oversized version of the M1-102 that is normally recommended for this vehicle.

FYI - I had a VOA on this oil performed with particle counts and TBN which you can find here.

Here is the UOA, followed by my revised plans for future UOAs and filter comparisons.

Tundra_Engine_UOA_6.png

Future plans:

In my last post in this series, I stated I would try different brands of filters for comparison. I apologize for this, but my plans have changed. Here's what I plan to do.

The currently installed filter, which will become the one used in UOA number 7, is a Mobil 1 M1-102. This is the recommended filter (NOT oversized) filter for this engine. I am doing this to see if there is any difference between the oversize filter (M1-209) and the recommended one (M1-102). Then, for the next interval, I plan to use the Amsoil EaO-57 (the recommended filter) instead of the oversized EaO-34. This will provide one final opportunity to see if the Amsoil EaO filter can equal or outperform the Mobil 1 filter for 5K UOA intervals.

This takes me to the 45K mile mark for this engine. Then, when I reach 45K miles, I plan to change the oil and cease using Mobil 1 5W-30 EP. I will then install Amsoil SSO 0W-30 for a 5K interval, which will take me to the 50K mile mark. Then, at 50K miles, I plan to change the oil, again using Amsoil SSO. But now, I plan to take change intervals to 10K miles. I will then repeat the ISO particle count tests, using the Amsoil EaO filters, and the Mobil 1 filters. This should hopefully address one concern with this study - that the short UOA length of 5K miles is "preventing" the Amsoil filter from showing its true performance. By doubling intervals to 10K miles, this should allow the Amsoil filter to shine a bit better.

The reason I am changing the oil to SSO - is for two reasons - I think stretching my change intervals with Mobil 1 EP to 10 K miles is stretching things a bit, given my UOA experience. I suspect the Amsoil SSO will hold up better, but we will see. Secondly, this whole thing about Mobil 1 not passing SM performance levels is bothering me, and I am in the mood for a change. This is a big step for me since I have been using Mobil 1 now for 32 years!

Comments?

Definately interesting here.

Thanks for posting the info, and i'll look forward to your future findings as well.

I don't know why you're already not trying for 7.5k on your current oil. It doesn't look like you're even close to wearing it out. It would also give you an idea if TBN will plateau or keep dropping, which is the only result that seems to be holding you back from extended drains.

Steve S. is correct - Warranty says change every 5K miles. Although I have an extended warranty on this vehicle to 100K miles, I am confident enough - given the consistency of the UOA results - that I can safely take it to 10K provided the oil holds up. Actually OrdnanceMarine - you bring up an excellent point - rather than going all the way to 10K from 5K - there is no reason I couldn't draw a sample at 7.5K - without changing the oil - just to make sure things are OK on the way to 10K. Since I take all my samples by drawing it through the dipstick tube, this is easy.

What is the cost comparison between changing the oil and filter and getting an UOA? For the average person, when it doubt, change it out. It looks like you're trying to collect some scientific data rather than reducing cost.

Thanks for posting this, the comparison of the oil filters is very intriguing. That Mobil 1 oil & filter combo seems(seemed?) to be working great in your truck. Looking forward to seeing how the SSO holds up!

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
What is the cost comparison between changing the oil and filter and getting an UOA? For the average person, when it doubt, change it out. It looks like you're trying to collect some scientific data rather than reducing cost.

Or maybe he makes enough money to afford a hobby? Or maybe he has a quest for knowledge that is snowballing on him? Or maybe he's just taking BITOGing to a higher level?

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Originally Posted By: blackdiamond

Or maybe he makes enough money to afford a hobby? Or maybe he has a quest for knowledge that is snowballing on him? Or maybe he's just taking BITOGing to a higher level?

Or maybe I am an anal-retentive, obsessive-compulsive addict
LOL.gif

I've been experimenting with various oils, including synthetics, as well as UOAs, for over 30 years now (Geez, am I *that* old?)

Clearly, this experiment isn't being done for economic reasons, as each UOA, including shipping the sample, and the extra particle count tests, is costing me close to $70 each time.

I'm doing it because I am fascinated with this stuff. I am really curious if the Amsoil filter is as good or better than the Mobil 1 filters, after reading so many comments on them over the past 1.5 years.

I am coming close to the end of another 5,000 mile UOA interval using the smaller Amsoil EaO-57 filter. I'll probably have results to post in the next three weeks or so. After that, I am extending the interval to 10K miles and will use an Amsoil EaO-34 filter. Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back