2006 Tundra trans fluid change with Toyota WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I changed the transmission fluid on our dad's 2006 Tundra yesterday. Th truck has 158,000 miles on it. I drained the pan in 2012, and refilled it, the truck had about 62,000 miles on it at that time.

Since draining the pan only removes around three quarts, what I did yesterday was drain the pan, refill it. Drove the truck for a couple miles, drained and refilled it again. Did that one more time.

I wanted to tell you guys about it because I wanted to talk about the Toyota WS fluid. Our dad likes to use Toyota parts when I do the maintenance on the truck, oil filter, air filter, etc.. Back in 2012, I used around three quarts of the Toyota WS to refill the pan, the rest was the original factory fill fluid. Which, I assume was Toyota WS fluid. It is what the owner's manual calls for.

So, after 158,000 miles, the factory fill fluid, with three new quarts in 2012, I drained the pan yesterday. I was really curious how the transmission fluid would look. Not only does our dad drive to other states for his work, but, he has towed his travel trailer to some of these places. Places like Burlington WI, Ruston LA, Pevly MO, Kalama, WA. So, the truck's engine and transmission have been put to work.

How did the fluid look? Surprisingly, not bad at all. It didn't have the bright red color of new fluid, obviously, but it was still a deep, dark red color. Laying under the truck, watching it drain, I could see the light shining through it, and see the red color. It is not dark or black, and has no burnt smell.

Considering the mileage and how much towing our dad has done, I was impressed with the condition of the fluid.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif
Sounds good to go

Sometime in the late 2000s, Toyota switched over from an Japanese-sourced fluid to XOM for aftermarket(dealer) service. The original WS was hygroscopic and turned purple after contact with ambient air. WS isn't a bad fluid as long as it's changed at a reasonable interval.

I have noticed the same with WS. I do yearly pan drain/fill on my Tacoma and I noticed on the 2nd change that the fluid coming out looked basically brand new. (the fluid on the first change was dark for good reason)

So I'm switching the frequency to be every 2 years assuming the same driving habits.

It seems like WS is decent stuff and Toyota sources good trannys that handle heat well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back