2006 Tundra, M1 EP5W-30, Particle Counts & TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

The last time I posted the continuing results from this experiment (back in May), I stated that it would be awhile before I posted another UOA result, because I was taking the current fill all the way to 10,000 miles. I still intend to do this, but it occurred to me that it would still be useful to have another data point at 5,000 miles, to once again test the Amsoil EaO filter, and to compare the results to the 10K mile UOA [Note to self: Duh!]

I am glad that I did this, as the results for this Amsoil EaO-34 filter are much better than all the previous ones, and the results equal the performance of the Mobil 1 filter. It makes me wonder if the two Amsoil filters used for UOA #3 and #4 (which were purchased at the same time, over a year ago) were of a different design or used different materials than the current one. The next UOA I will post will be from the SAME batch of oil currently reflected in this current UOA, as well as the SAME filter. It will be quite interesting to see how the results compare. Also: Please don't tell my wife that this experiment so far has cost over $500 just in Oil Analysis costs!

Comments? I will post another UOA at 10K miles!

2009_July_Tundra_Oil_Reports.jpg

Wow. Talk about impressive data gathering, and controlling of variables!

This study would be worthy of a research paper!

I'm disappointed in the TBN. It's consistent, but it is below 5 on EVERY run, and this oil is 'supposed' to last 15k. Will be interesting to see your 10k results.

One last comment/question: Silicon seems really high for only 5k miles in each sample - I'd expect it to drop after break-in, no?

Yeah this is impressive. Keep it going. Nice results. Tbn can hang remain strong for awhile. Would be nice to see it higher but it can surprise you as we saw in the 18k mile study. Although, makeup oil was added.

The Amsoil filter did better this time, but it still didn't beat the less expensive Mobil 1 209 filter.

On my next OCI, I think I'll combine Amsoil oil with a Mobil 1 filter.

Last edited:
Quote:
Also: Please don't tell my wife that this experiment so far has cost over $500 just in Oil Analysis costs!

Yeah, she'd have feelings of inadequacy over not spending it for you on something meaningful and long lasting (right
grin2.gif
).

It could be a better batch of filters or there could be just less wear as the engine is breaking in. Looking at each filter individually, the particle counts trend down.

Just listening in. I have a 2004 Sequoia with the same engine. I'm planning for 7,500 mile OCI with the current Pennzoil Platinum / M1-209 with GC sitting on the shelf for the next change.

I'm considering pushing the GC a little farther, but two 7,000 mile OCIs put me to the timing belt change that I'm sure will include changing the oil anyways.

I really appreciate the continued testing, but folks aren't seeing the forest for the trees. It's more proof that people see what they want to see.

I think this keeps pointing out just how invalid, unreliable, unrepeatable the "ISO Particle counts" are from Blackstone. I've been saying this over and over again. It looks cool, people go "ooh and ah", but statistically they are meaningless.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
The Amsoil filter did better this time, but it still didn't beat the less expensive Mobil 1 209 filter.

On my next OCI, I think I'll combine Amsoil oil with a Mobil 1 filter.
Run both filters for 25,000 miles then see if there is a difference.

His oil won't last 25k miles. I would even consider a UOA, without change, at 7.5k miles to make sure there is enough TBN to go to 10k miles.

From the looks of the wear, the engine should last forever.

I would try a couple different filters for comparison, like PureONE, TG/eXG's, Wix, Motorcraft, or RoyalPurple.

Quote:
Also: Please don't tell my wife that this experiment so far has cost over $500 just in Oil Analysis costs!

I could have bought me a new laptop or a revolver with that dough. hmm, what's your vice?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: unDummy
His oil won't last 25k miles. I would even consider a UOA, without change, at 7.5k miles to make sure there is enough TBN to go to 10k miles.

From the looks of the wear, the engine should last forever.

I would try a couple different filters for comparison, like PureONE, TG/eXG's, Wix, Motorcraft, or RoyalPurple.
I am referring to the differences that will be noted with the oil filters.

Quote:
His oil won't last 25k miles.

That doesn't mean that he can't use the filters for that duration.

I would keep all the used filters in marked plastic bags. Reinstall them at later evolutions for 5kOCI/10kFCI (for both filters), 10kOCI/15kFCI (for both filters.

If one is evaluating the (albeit imperfect) particle count, this would be the fastest and cheapest way to do it. Once should reach the optimum filtration level sooner.

I mean, the protracted deal is nice, but if you want to cut to the chase, that would be the way I'd do it.

If I were doing this, with that in mind, the 10k filter would stay on for the next 10k OCI. I might do a 15k PC to check progress.

The engine's byproduct production should be fairly constant. Only the filter's efficiency with aging should change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back