2006 Tundra 4.7L V8, Amsoil Signature 5W-30, 9.8K

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually UOA number 23(!) on this vehicle. Everything is looking pretty good. There was about 1 quart of oil added at about the 5,000 mile mark during this interval. Comments?

Last edited:
I wouldn't run it any longer with a TAN of 6.3. Reason being you can't drain out all of the acidic content your next drain and fill. If you do this exact same interval I wouldn't be surprised if your next UOA had a TAN of 7.x and your next a TAN of 8.x.

Seen it happen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: btanchors
This is actually UOA number 23(!) on this vehicle. Everything is looking pretty good. There was about 1 quart of oil added at about the 5,000 mile mark during this interval. Comments?

Do you work for Blackstone? If not, I hope you're getting a great price on all the UOAs you are doing. I think you can skip an UOA or two now on the Tundra.

Regards, JC.

No, I don't work for Blackstone, LOL. But based on what I have learned I have cut the number of UOAs in half. I used to do oil change intervals at 5K miles, since the vehicle was under warranty. Now that it's not, I change oil at 10K miles or 1 year, whichever happens first, in all my vehicles. I pull a sample for analysis right before changing, so now I am doing one engine UOA each vehicle per year, which I think is reasonable. It's certainly a lot fewer than I was doing at 5K intervals!

Last edited:
No, I don't work for Blackstone, LOL. But based on what I have learned I have cut the number of UOAs in half. I used to do oil change intervals at 5K miles, since the vehicle was under warranty. Now that it's not, I change oil at 10K miles or 1 year, whichever happens first, in all my vehicles. I pull a sample for analysis right before changing, so now I am doing one engine UOA each vehicle per year, which I think is reasonable. It's certainly a lot fewer than I was doing at 5K intervals!

That's good. Being a member of this site, I've also learned to stretch out the OCI. I have a 98 Sienna 3.0L (aka the sludger). Right now I have 7400 km on the OCI (approx 4500 Mi). I also change the oil filter every other oil change.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
JC1,

I had a 1998 Camry V6 with the same engine, years ago. I did UOAs on that vehicle, at 5,000 miles using Mobil 1. I never had any sludging problems with that vehicle, and sold it around 90K miles.

Are you starting to burn oil?

I've got a sample to send in on my 03 V8 4Runner. It's at 135K of hard use, short runs, lots of dirt roads and rough pavement and towing. I'm interested to see how a UOA will look. There's 5K on the sample. I use an M1-209 oil filter and 0w-30 Red Line. I've never seen the oil level change and have never had to add make-up oil.

JC1,

I had a 1998 Camry V6 with the same engine, years ago. I did UOAs on that vehicle, at 5,000 miles using Mobil 1. I never had any sludging problems with that vehicle, and sold it around 90K miles.

Good to hear. I don't have a sluding issue either. There is some varnish and some minor sludge in the corners of the front valve cover. I just want to keep it that way. There is 166K miles on it right now.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I've got a sample to send in on my 03 V8 4Runner. It's at 135K of hard use, short runs, lots of dirt roads and rough pavement and towing. I'm interested to see how a UOA will look. There's 5K on the sample. I use an M1-209 oil filter and 0w-30 Red Line. I've never seen the oil level change and have never had to add make-up oil.

My friend has 180K on her 02 Tundra; the sump is 6.5qt, but I pour in 6qts; the level never moves. It has done 9K too.

I might snap up a few M-209s if that fits the engine too. Local place has them on clearance for $6

UOA looks good for 10K

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

My friend has 180K on her 02 Tundra; the sump is 6.5qt, but I pour in 6qts; the level never moves. It has done 9K too.

I might snap up a few M-209s if that fits the engine too. Local place has them on clearance for $6

UOA looks good for 10K

The M1-209 is longer than stock and clears the sway bar with lots of room to spare. It's got the same bypass setting so there's more filter area (a lot more), maybe the oil passes through the media at a very tiny bit slower pace and a little bit more oil for the same price. What's not to like about that.

I'm using the M1-209s as well. Also - to answer your last question, I am burning *some* oil, but not much. When I changed to Amsoil from Mobil 1, I did burn almost a quart in 5,000 miles. Now that I have been on the Amsoil for awhile, it's slowed down quite a bit - perhaps to one quart in 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
btanchors, why is it all of your recent UOA have high TAN numbers? I'm keeping my eye on you.

My guess would be high starting TAN from ester base oils?

zpinch -

I switched from Mobil 1 EP/AFE to Amsoil signature oils almost 2 years ago. The signature series has a virgin TAN of 4.6.

The Mobil 1 EP and AFE had starting TAN of around 2.8.

This fact, plus the fact that I am running my oil longer than I used to, is leading to higher TANs.

Hmm, the bulk of the amsoil signature series oil is PAO base stock, with the additive pack being an Ester base... but that is much smaller % of the volume of the oil. I am pretty sure this isn't a universal issue with amsoil SS line.

How are you taking your samples?

zpinch -

I take all my samples using a pump (from Blackstone) and tubing that I insert through the dipstick opening. I measure the length of the tubing so that it dips into the oil pan, but does not hit the bottom of the pan, to ensure a representative sample.

yeah-I guess you've taken enough sample to reach the expert level.
Quite common, almost expected to see, a switch from M-1 to any other oil results in less oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back