2006 TSX, Tighten Fuel Cap - Huh?

On our trusty, (almost) perfect 2006 TSX with 207K on the K24, "Tighten Fuel Cap" just came on the dash. No check engine light.
The cap is tight. Maybe it's seen better days?
Purge valve?
I did swap out air filter yesterday when I serviced the transmission. I checked to see if there were any unplugged hoses or whatever.

I will fill it up and give it a few days. Maybe clear trouble codes to see if that helps.
Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Same vintage as my TL, which are known for bad purge valves. My guess is it happened pretty much across the line. Mine used to do it all the flippen time until I replaced it.

Funny...

My Acura TL did have a code for this three days ago... Cleared the code with my scan tool.

Need to scan check it again...

And I have the lovely p0420 code. . Which has been cleared only to return.

I know what that quite likely means.

Car still runs very well. But it will need a new cat in all likelihood in 2 years.

Car still runs very well. But it will need a new cat in all likelihood in 2 years.
Lol, or never. My Accord has been throwing that for.....ohh, 5-6 years now? Not high on my list of to-do's, granted, no emissions here.

It comes and goes with the seasons, and with different gas, and when the weather changes, etc.

Doesn't bother me, since I don't drive the car, it's the wife's beater now.

Last edited:
Lol, or never. My Accord has been throwing that for.....ohh, 5-6 years now? Not high on my life of to-do's, granted, no emissions here.

It comes and goes with the seasons, and with different gas, and when the weather changes, etc.

Doesn't bother me, since I don't drive the car, it's the wife's beater now.
yep , my accord also has been doing that for a few years . not all that concerned about it. car runs , drives just fine

The gasket on the cap can go bad, but it’s more likely a purge valve, or cracked line in the evap system. It’s detected a leak in the evap system. The tank/fuel system isn’t air tight any more.

Got a smoke machine?

The gasket on the cap can go bad, but it’s more likely a purge valve, or cracked line in the evap system. It’s detected a leak in the evap system. The tank/fuel system isn’t air tight any more.

Got a smoke machine?
I was thinking about the EVAP but there is no Check Engine Light. I will check for any trouble codes later today. Dunno if clearing codes will reset the dash Tighten Fuel Cap message.

My guess is you are right.

if you do need a new gas cap.. the stant ones at walmart are very low priced and I don't think it's a "walmart version" either that they're selling.. I needed a new one on the civic and scion tC, been working fine now for a couple of years! The cool thing about stant that I found out, they have a torque limiter on the cap so when you click (how many times the manufacturer tells you to) you can't tighten it more than it was designed.. the cap will keep clicking but it won't tighten more! cool! Yes I found out when I called them to ask about how many clicks..

The “check gas cap” light is telling you there is a large/gross leak. I’m sure there will be a po455 stored at minimum.

My Accord k24 does that in the summer when it’s hot and usually with a full tank. It’s done that for the 7 years I’ve owned it. No concerns on my end. After 3 drive cycles the message goes away.

Drove to Petaluma (90 miles) this morning; said "Tighten ...." all the way. Was at our house there to pull weeds and grab the laptop I left there.
Started the TSX to go home and the message is gone.
Yippie! For now anyways...

Drove to Petaluma (90 miles) this morning; said "Tighten ...." all the way. Was at our house there to pull weeds and grab the laptop I left there.
Started the TSX to go home and the message is gone.
Yippie! For now anyways...
Awesome! Hopefully that's all it was, just the cap!

Back