2006 Subaru Legacy GT Mobil 1 0w30 AFE 7559mi

Just wanted to add this analysis to the databank for people to discuss. Car is tuned to 17psi, and sees it regularly as it’s my daily driver. Car has modified intake/exhaust and an ecu tune. Fueled with E30. Original engine and turbo. I’ll answer questions when time permits. Previous fills from left: Pennzoil Euro 0w40, Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, and unknown/as-purchased.

Attachments

• 60AD84D6-506F-42F8-B8ED-B3FA9F37F33D.jpeg
    60AD84D6-506F-42F8-B8ED-B3FA9F37F33D.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 292
I'm impressed that this engine (and turbo) has over 227,000 miles on it, apparently without burnt exhaust valves, broken pistons, or damaged bearings.
Me too! Its been given plenty of opportunities. It’s been up and down the east coast 4 times. Chicago to Arkansas, multiple times. It’s been overheated, when the radiator exploded, I cracked the hood and kept driving 10 miles. I tow a boat with it sometimes. It runs great! Love this car. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Me too! Its been given plenty of opportunities. It’s been up and down the east coast 4 times. Chicago to Arkansas, multiple times. It’s been overheated, when the radiator exploded, I cracked the hood and kept driving 10 miles. I tow a boat with it sometimes. It runs great! Love this car. 🤷🏼‍♂️
That's what you call a GOOD car!!(y)

What kind of tune do you have? My '04 FXT only made it to ~80k before turbo failure and ~100k before a burnt exhaust valve.

At what mileage did you add the make-up oil?

What kind of tune do you have? My '04 FXT only made it to ~80k before turbo failure and ~100k before a burnt exhaust valve.

At what mileage did you add the make-up oil?
I tuned it myself with Cobb Accesstuner and an Accessport. My theory as to why it’s done well is that I’ve left the factory ignition advance unchanged at higher power levels. I’m sure it’s not perfect since it’s never been on a dyno. I also leaned out the fuel mildly, which people say not to do. No AOS on this car either. I believe it is tuned close enough and runs great. It burns a quart every 2500-3000 or so. I only added the extra half quart around the 6000 mile mark due to oil change coming soon. The turbo has to be getting close to dying, right? It sounds and pulls great though. I should probably pull the downpipe and check it again as it’s been a while.

I tuned it myself with Cobb Accesstuner and an Accessport. My theory as to why it’s done well is that I’ve left the factory ignition advance unchanged at higher power levels. I’m sure it’s not perfect since it’s never been on a dyno. I also leaned out the fuel mildly, which people say not to do. No AOS on this car either. I believe it is tuned close enough and runs great. It burns a quart every 2500-3000 or so. I only added the extra half quart around the 6000 mile mark due to oil change coming soon. The turbo has to be getting close to dying, right? It sounds and pulls great though. I should probably pull the downpipe and check it again as it’s been a while.
Yeah, I would say be very careful with a lean tune. I had no issues with a Cobb OTS tune that ran a little rich.

I stopped doing uoa’s on the FXT because my consumption was similar to yours. IMO, you’re not really getting an accurate snapshot when you add 1.5 quarts of make-up oil. It skews your wear metals as well as the viscosity.

After my turbo failure, I just went with xW-40 every 5k miles. I even still kept the banjo bolt screens because the Senior Master Tech at my dealer convinced me that the benefits (blocking debris) outweighed the negatives (sludging due to extended drains). I added over another 100k on the engine and turbo before selling it the car after it was totaled.

Are you still running the banjo bolt screens?

Yeah, I would say be very careful with a lean tune. I had no issues with a Cobb OTS tune that ran a little rich.

I stopped doing uoa’s on the FXT because my consumption was similar to yours. IMO, you’re not really getting an accurate snapshot when you add 1.5 quarts of make-up oil. It skews your wear metals as well as the viscosity.

After my turbo failure, I just went with xW-40 every 5k miles. I even still kept the banjo bolt screens because the Senior Master Tech at my dealer convinced me that the benefits (blocking debris) outweighed the negatives (sludging due to extended drains). I added over another 100k on the engine and turbo before selling it the car after it was totaled.

Are you still running the banjo bolt screens?
Sorry for the late reply. I removed the screens upon purchasing the car at 80000 miles. I was running 0w40 for a while, but it was using the same amount of oil. Since consumption was no better, didn’t see a need to continue, as you get better circulation and cooling with the 30wt. I’ll report back when something dies on the car. I may get impatient and change the turbo though..

Very impressive report. With the TBN being pretty high on all your UOA’s, I have to ask...are you adding make up oil during your intervals?

Back