2006 Scion TC - Sahara Desert of Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

The same thing crossed my mind - 10W-30 too thick for startup in Phoenix ????? Am I missing something here - maybe time to go back to a bicycle.....

10w30 isn't TOO thick for startup, but it's thicker than 5w30 which is all you need. If you want thicker at startup, why not go with a straight 30 weight or better yet 15w40 or 20w50?

10w30 won't always be thicker than 5w30 at startup, it depends on the ambient temperature. The 10w30 will only be thicker around freezing temperatures IIRC.

Given your climate, a 0w-30, 5w-30 or 10w-30 won't matter at all. Choose any of them.

If you like the feeling extra protection gives you in regards to using a synthetic oil, go with a true PAO based oil, namely Castrol Syntec 0w-30 or Amsoil 0w-30.

Quote:

10w30 won't always be thicker than 5w30 at startup, it depends on the ambient temperature. The 10w30 will only be thicker around freezing temperatures IIRC.

Oh, ok. Thanks for setting that straight.
confused.gif

Quote:

Temps are usually 80-85F in the morning in Phoenix -- there are SERIOUSLY no cold start issues in the desert...

OK, then just use straight 30 like I use to when I was down there
beer2.gif

Quote:

10W-30 tend ro shear down less then 5W-30 or do I need to be corrected on this?

If you buy the new Havoline Deposit Shield 10W-30, it's already thinner than the average 5W-30; it's almost like being pre-sheared.
grin.gif

With all the Deposit Shield bashing I do on this board, I'm surprised no one has called me out onto the carpet yet.
nono.gif
tongue.gif

mehere,
I beleive that you answered your own question. "There are SERIOUSLY no cold start issues in the desert". I think that you can't go wrong with any oil mentioned here. And I personaly beleive that any name beand dino 5W30 or 10W30 will handle the heat of Phoenix. I've moved my daughter into her appt. in August(115-118 deg F) as she attends ASU in Tempe. If longevity is a concern then synthetic is your best bet. But I think that the drivetrain in your tC will outlast the dashboard and paint job failure caused from the Arizona sun. One more thing! I've been in a couple of the dust stormes in Phoenix/Tempe and I would encourage keeping your air filter changed regularly using either the Toyota air filter or other name brand replacements(NO K&N). Way too much dust, dirt and sand in your area for a K&N.

Go to Walmart and pick up a some Rotella-T Synthetic 5W40. Your engine will like it you will like it and your UOA will look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back