2006 Scion TC - Sahara Desert of Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Scion TC - live in Phoenix, Arizona. Lot of stop and go local driving and weekend highway jaunts around town
deadhorse.gif
. Temp is above 100F now. What do you recommend for an oil and change interval? Thanks in advance.

5W20~5W30, ILSAC GF-4, full syn ok.

IF you have any second thoughts/doubts, run a couple of UOA to see if the oil can take the beating w/o loosing a sweat.

I'd run what I run here in STL, a good 5W20 conventional oil changed every 6 mo or 5K miles.

Currently I run Pennzoil 5W20. I also have some of the closeout Havoline 5W20.

I have an 06 tC. Oilbabe has an 02 Camry with the same engine, with about 160K miles on it. It was run on whatever 5W30 or 10W30 Wal*Mart Tire and Lube used before she met me.

Oil cap stats 5-30 -- due to the heat of the summer is it better to just run 10w-30 in the heat?

Just run 5W30 ILSAC GF-4 full syn and you'll sleep well during the nite.

the trick is to get the oil to where it's needed most fast, not based on how "thick" it is

Today, many 5w30 oils are just as stable if not more so than the same brand of 10w30. AGAIN, if you are worried, just use a nice full syn and call it a day.

Quote:

Just run 5W30 ILSAC GF-4 full syn and you'll sleep well during the nite.

the trick is to get the oil to where it's needed most fast, not based on how "thick" it is

What are you thinking tell me that the time it takes for the oil to get to the top end of the engine between a 5w and an equal 10w/30 oil will make any difference from freezing temps on up.

Temps are usually 80-85F in the morning in Phoenix -- there are SERIOUSLY no cold start issues in the desert...

Steve_S-

My remark is primarily aiming at those "mo thicka betta" audiences and not those about the differences between 5W30 and 10W30.

Personally, I just stick/stay on with 5W30 although I have been having excellent luck running modern 5W20 in all Honda engines that called for 20wt. Heck! Took it to Mnt Shasta last summer and it went fine even in mid summer afternoons where outside temp hovers around 38~42C at 5thou+ ft elevations!

Currently running Crrappy tires full syn 5W20 in my fit. No issues so far.. (does a long D driving every mnth down to Portland Ore and back for scheduled meeting).

You have plenty of people out there who run regular 5W30 and see 100,000's of miles. Use what they recommend and keep moving forward.

What I am really trying to determine is -- do I need to run a 10W-30 to protect me from the summer heat in Phoenix???

Have a 05 Scion XB that does mostly city driving within downtown Atlanta. Summer temps hover close to 100F. I use 5W-30 synthetic blend with 4K-5K OCI's. This has served me well. Being in the desert, I would check your air filter every other OCI, to make sure it's stays peachy keen. Today's oil does not seem to have much of a difference in shear factor between 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Quote:

What I am really trying to determine is -- do I need to run a 10W-30 to protect me from the summer heat in Phoenix???

I'd run a 0W-30 year round for that car in PHX. I'm not sure there is as large an effect from the high ambient temps on your oil temps as you're thinking...

OMG. Now 10W30 is too thick at startup for summer in the desert?
laugh.gif

Seems we've all gotten off on over-emphasizing one specific characteristic of an oil again....

The same thing crossed my mind - 10W-30 too thick for startup in Phoenix ????? Am I missing something here - maybe time to go back to a bicycle.....

Quote:

The same thing crossed my mind - 10W-30 too thick for startup in Phoenix ????? Am I missing something here - maybe time to go back to a bicycle.....

10w30 isn't TOO thick for startup, but it's thicker than 5w30 which is all you need. If you want thicker at startup, why not go with a straight 30 weight or better yet 15w40 or 20w50?

Ahhh..I am more concerned about the 115F temp today and stop and go driving. I need high temp protection is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back