2006 Saab 93 2.0T, Mobil 1 0W40, 5951 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
5720_1123086890931_1639865325_280873_641086_n.jpg

Shortly after I got these results back, I took the car to the Saab dealership for it's final free oil change. While I was there I mentioned that it was continuing to lose coolant (by this time it was down almost a full inch on the tank) and gave this to the service writer. I also mentioned that I had gotten a "Stability Control Failure" message twice that went away an hour later each time.

They scanned it for codes, determined that it needed an ABS hydraulic module, told me they'd need to keep the car for the day, and they'd get me a rental and they'll call Saab's technical assistance center about the coolant loss.

About 4 hours later I got a call saying that Saab told them to replace the shortblock (they pressure tested the head first and the head passed the test). 4 days later I got the car back with a new shortblock in it.

So far it's gone about 2000 miles and the coolant level has only dropped about 1/10" which is probably because there was a little air in the system when I made the mark, which has since bled out.

What's odd about these results is that the 1st and 2nd analysis is on the same oil, and the sodium and potassium didn't have a corresponding increase as you would expect based on mileage.

For that reason I thought the oil might have been contaminated when it was added to the engine, perhaps because the same funnel that was used to add coolant was also used to add the oil.

I was told by the dealership that they suspected a porous block.

I will get another analysis done next month, when the oil has 3000 miles on it.

Incidentally, the dealership did a very good job of replacing the shortblock..I only found three things out of place:

1)plate over sparkplug coils was misaligned when tightened so one of the screws didn't fully seat.

2)One of the radiator hoses was secured to another hose and isn't any longer

3)The battery hold-down wasn't tightened all the way

Other than that, everything looked exactly like it came from the factory. I've seen cars that have had obvious work done on them from the mess under the hood. No mess here.

Nice. I was wondering why you did such a short interval. Those abs modules are pricey. Nice you had it replaced under warranty. I bought a used unit and popped the ecu off it and swapped it onto mine. A lot cheaper!

For the average person UOAs are not much help except if you are loosing coolant. It did it's job in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back