2006 Saab 9-3 SC Aero, 12,120 mi., Mobil 1 0W 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmk

Car is a 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi Aero that has the 2.8L V6 Turbo and 6 speed auto. Factory hp is 250 hp and 258 lb. torque however I "tuned" it and is now 295 hp and 340 lb. torque--lots of power.
Car was bought new in April 2007. First oil change was done in May 2007 with about 3700 miles on the oil but I didn't do an analysis.
10,140 miles on this change, 13,700 total miles.

5 months of the oil. Total miles 55,200. Mostly highway.

Aluminum: 5, 4
Chromium: 2, 2
Iron: 36, 12
Copper: 21, 2
Lead: 5, 0
Tin: 0, 0
Molybdenum: 86, 81
Nickel: 0, 0
Manganese: 4, 1
Silver: 0, 0
Titanium: 0, 0
Potassium: 6, 2
Boron: 79, 131
Silicon: 78, 9
Sodium: 8, 34
Calcium: 2649, 2340
Magnesium: 39, 16
Phosphorus: 745, 798
Zinc: 946, 983
Barium: 0, 0
Fuel: Viscosity: 65.4, 63.8
Water - 0.0, 0.0
Antifreeze - 0, ?
TBN - 5.2, 4.7
Insolubles - 0.3, 0.3
Flashpoint - 385°F, 390
CST Viscosity- 11.72, 11.27

Blackstone's comments on 4-8-09:

"DAVID: You ran this oil almost twice as long as what our universal averages are based on. But your engine
wear looks great. All of the wear metals we found read at or below those averages, which are based on
6,300 miles of oil use. We don't know what your secret is but you may want to patent it! The TBN was 4.7
showing lots of active additive left. Sodium may show a little coolant in the system, but we're not entirely
sure about that because with coolant we usually see potassium too. We'll know more when we see your next sample. Wear looks really good."

Comments from 8-10-07

"The high wear metals and silicon are not unusual finds in the oil from your new Saab. In fact, we would have been surprised if we didn't find them. The wear is high due to break-in of new parts, while silicon is from sealers and sand-casted parts. Universal averages show typical wear metals for oil from this engine after 5800 miles of use. We expect your engine will look that good after future oil changes. The TBN was 5.2, lots of active additive. 1.0 is too low. Try an ~5000-mile oil change to get rid of excess metals in the oil and check before trying to extend oil use."

These comments are pretty useless and generic it seems. Did they realize this is the second oil change? And what are they talking about universal averages of 5800 miles? Where do they come up with these figures? And extended oil use, factory interval is 10,000 miles.

And is it normal for all these wear metals to be so high after the second oil change? Extended break-in period I guess...

So what do you all think?

Last edited:
I would not have run the 2nd round of oil that long in a new engine.

TBN was nice though.

Youre calling Fe at 12, Cu at 2, Pb at 0 and Al at 4 "high"????!?

Or is the 34 Fe the latest data point?

If Fe = 12 is your current OCI, then youre doing great, and this is another indicator that M1 0w-40 is a great oil for saabs.

Those were Blackstones comments. I have them a little backwards--the second comment set is from the 1st UOA.

BTW,if anyone can explain to me how to post the full Blackstone report I'd be more than happy to do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dmk
Those were Blackstones comments. I have them a little backwards--the second comment set is from the 1st UOA.

BTW,if anyone can explain to me how to post the full Blackstone report I'd be more than happy to do it.

OK I'm confused. Which column is which???

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: dmk

OK I'm confused. Which column is which???

First column is from 07' and second column is the current report--sorry for not laying it out more clearly.

10,140 miles on this change, 13,700 total miles.?

12,120 mi., Mobil 1 0W 40?

????

So an engine with around 41K at the time.
You went 3700 miles and got:
Aluminum: 5
Chromium: 2
Iron: 36
Copper: 21
Lead: 5
Then you changed oil (same oil, M1 0W-40) and went 10, 12 or 13k miles and got:
Aluminum: 4
Chromium: 2
Iron: 12
Copper: 2
Lead: 0

Wow. Pretty darn good!

55,200 total miles. First report at 13,328 with 10,140 miles. Change factory oil out just before 4,000 miles.

Current report oil was changed 55,200 and had 12,120 miles on the oil.

As Blackstone said it was a very good report...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I would not have run the 2nd round of oil that long in a new engine.

TBN was nice though.

Engine has 55K miles???

Pablo, I missed that one and saw this:

"10,140 miles on this change, 13,700 total miles."

So, I thought it had 13,700 total miles...

Keep in mind this engine is completely new to SAAB and really the only thing it has in common w/ past saab engines is turbocharging.

This is a newer GM corporate engine much in the same way that the newer SAAB 4 cylinder is an ECOTEC variant. The 9-5's 4-cylinder is the only SAAB engine that has any kind of lineage of being developed over time by SAAB engineers. Of course, even it was a borrowed design.

I'm not complaining, I love it. Heck, they could drop a 7 liter LS9 in there and I'd be happy.

I believe that the head, turbo system and engine management on the aab 4-cyl ecotec is all saab design. Only the block is similar, and the absolute best of the run is used for the 2.0T, then the standard blocks are used for the 2.0t and 1.8t variants.

I dont know anything of the 2.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back