2006 Nissan Sentra maintenance - Long trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

A little background....My sister owns and drives a 2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8L with 5spd MT. I will be driving her car down to South Carolina in a month, staying for a week and driving back for a total of ~2000 miles. She doesn't do well on long trips (gets tired easily) so I will be doing almost all of the 14hr haul each way. I will be taking I-95 pretty much all the way so lots of 75mph high speed driving. Her car only has 37k miles on it.

I am questioning what maintenance should be done to a 6 yr old car with only 37k miles on it. Should I go ahead and replace the serpentine belt? Is there anything that I should replace due to age or mileage? Hoses? What does lack of driving take its toll on?

Her car has pretty much everything original...although I believe the rotors were maybe replaced due to rust. I'm not too sure but she is getting a NY inspection done in the next couple of days so they will check the brakes.

Tires are good...the Fuzion TRIs were put on when the original Bridgestones were shot at 30k miles. She does a pretty good bout of aggressive short tripping with this vehicle. I put in a new DieHard battery last fall so that should be good. This motor has a timing chain (90% sure on that).

My only maintenance plan was to replace the air filter (not sure if original or not but I assume it was replaced once by the dealership when she bought the car used at 20k miles). I will also be doing an oil change for her a few days before we head out and give it an overall visual check to make sure fluids are topped off.

Can you folks recommend what I should look for? At 6 yrs old and only 37k miles am I worrying about nothing? I have taken this trip dozens of times and have never had car trouble...looking to keep that record.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
All,

A little background....My sister owns and drives a 2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8L with 5spd MT. I will be driving her car down to South Carolina in a month, staying for a week and driving back for a total of ~2000 miles. She doesn't do well on long trips (gets tired easily) so I will be doing almost all of the 14hr haul each way. I will be taking I-95 pretty much all the way so lots of 75mph high speed driving. Her car only has 37k miles on it.

I am questioning what maintenance should be done to a 6 yr old car with only 37k miles on it. Should I go ahead and replace the serpentine belt? Is there anything that I should replace due to age or mileage? Hoses? What does lack of driving take its toll on?

Her car has pretty much everything original...although I believe the rotors were maybe replaced due to rust. I'm not too sure but she is getting a NY inspection done in the next couple of days so they will check the brakes.

Tires are good...the Fuzion TRIs were put on when the original Bridgestones were shot at 30k miles. She does a pretty good bout of aggressive short tripping with this vehicle. I put in a new DieHard battery last fall so that should be good. This motor has a timing chain (90% sure on that).

My only maintenance plan was to replace the air filter (not sure if original or not but I assume it was replaced once by the dealership when she bought the car used at 20k miles). I will also be doing an oil change for her a few days before we head out and give it an overall visual check to make sure fluids are topped off.

Can you folks recommend what I should look for? At 6 yrs old and only 37k miles am I worrying about nothing? I have taken this trip dozens of times and have never had car trouble...looking to keep that record.

Thanks.

The NYS inspection will "glance" at one wheel and thats about it. Do not depend upon it to be a "safe" car just because you pass an inspection. It may be, but I never trust them to check all the things that need to be checked. Not enough time for the $20 or $22 fee. (Even less if its a diesel).

I would replace the serpentine belt at 37K, its about due. At least buy one and keep it in a baggie. Goodyear Gator is my favorite.

Check the wipers and all the lights. If the hoses are not bulging or cracked you should be fine.

Check/top off fluids, air up tires (a few over rec'd psi if you want more mpg on the long trip) and load up on energy drinks and podcasts. Maybe a pee jug too.

Drive safe! Car maintenance issues should be least of your worries on that long drive.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Check/top off fluids, air up tires (a few over rec'd psi if you want more mpg on the long trip) and load up on energy drinks and podcasts. Maybe a pee jug too.

Drive safe! Car maintenance issues should be least of your worries on that long drive.

This. Also, if you're traveling on I-95 below where it crosses I-26, watch out for speed traps. Those counties down there are some of the poorest in SC, and the sheriffs are very aggressive in ticketing anything with a front license plate or windshield stickers (SC only has rear license plates and no windshield stickers). I used to visit Hilton Head from Columbia regularly a few years ago, and there were a lot of out-of-staters getting nailed after blowing by me doing the speed limit.

Assuming the vehicle has an automatic transmission, has it had the ATF changed? Many vehicles suggest that be done at or about 30K.

One other thing you should look into. The spare tire should be checked for proper inflation.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: surfstar

This. Also, if you're traveling on I-95 below where it crosses I-26, watch out for speed traps. Those counties down there are some of the poorest in SC, and the sheriffs are very aggressive in ticketing anything with a front license plate or windshield stickers (SC only has rear license plates and no windshield stickers). I used to visit Hilton Head from Columbia regularly a few years ago, and there were a lot of out-of-staters getting nailed after blowing by me doing the speed limit.

Yeah, on I-95, do not speed through or around Ridgeland, SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back