2006 Mustang GT UOA with track time Advice wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to UOA's. I've got a 2006 Mustang GT with the 4.6 3 valve engine with about 115,000km's (70,000 miles or so). I've owned it for about 6 years and have been tracking it since I bought it.

It's my daily driver from April to November, so it never sees below freezing temps.

Throughout the spring, summer and fall, I participate in A LOT of track days, ranging from full day track sessions with multiple 20 or 40 minute heats, as well as shorter lapping evenings.

The car's been fantastic and has never given me any issues, even with all of the track time.

I run Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30 and change all of my fluids often. Generally based on track time, rather than mileage, so sometimes as often as every 4000kms.

Below is my first UOA for the engine oil. The oil had about 4000kms on it and over 4 hours of track time. It was actually changed the day after I went to an all day track event with low turn out (we ended up having about 5 40 minute runs on the track, and I went through 1.5 tanks of fuel).

Apparently everything's good and my oil can go even longer according to Blackstone. I always thought that track time would 'shear' the oil down and contaminate it with wear metals quickly. Apparently not in my case.

I run 5W30, because I bought the '30% more wear, 3% better fuel economy' argument that's been thrown around forever. Now I'm starting to rethink maybe it's not necessary based on what I've read here, and maybe I should just run 5w20. If 5w30 was actually damaging something, wouldn't it show up on a UOA? FYI I bought the car with about 50,000km's (30k miles)

Thoughts, opinions, criticism etc. are all welcome.

AL: 4
CR: 0
FE: 7
CU: 10
PB: 0
SN: 0
MO: 72
NI: 0
MN: 1
AG: 0
TI: 5
K: 0
B: 228
SI: 10
NA: 5
CA: 2141
MG: 10
P: 699
ZN: 805
BA: 0

CST @ 100C: 10.37
Fuel: Water: 0.0
Insolubles: 0.1
TBN: 5.5

The car doesn't have an oil cooler.

I'm surprised the UOA turned out so well, I'm hard on the car and almost always driving 10/10 on the track.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I wonder if there is some truth to the whole titanium wear protection thing.
cool.gif

That doesn't look like Castrol Edge, at least not what the PQUIA tested 2 years ago which is very heavy on Magnesium and quite light on Calcium. Sure looks a lot like Mobil SS or Formula Shell Synthetic. If the 5W-30 is working so well, why drop down to a 20? With only 4 km's on that oil could some of those wear products be in the filter?

Sweet - I was at Mosport once myself. Back in 1989 - an SCCA National in GT1 Camaro. Wow - what a fast crazy track - you think you're going to die once a lap. I was trying to learn it by following a Showroom Stock Honda CRX around. He kept waving me to pass him but I didn't want to. Followed him for 3 laps before I got the nerve to go by. Fond memories.

Whoever is telling you that the 5W30 might be causing damage is a fool, and shouldn't be listened to.

Whoever says 30% more wear, and 3% economy is similarly a fool...it's not any where near that much economy (and certainly not wear either).

Looks like your combo at present is doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back