2006 Mariner Hybrid 3961 miles Pennzoil Ultra 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: My 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid that has been converted to use a dual remote filter; one of which is a bypass.
Date of oil being placed into service: May 4th 2014
Odometer at time of oil change: 61,828
Oil used: 6.25 quarts Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 SN/GF-5 full synthetic.
Oil Filter: Amsoil EaO15 full-flow and EaBP90 bypass filter. Both filters were removed, drained and reinstalled at the time of the oil change. Both filters have 15,032 miles on them.
Top Up: None
Air filter: ACDelco A3157C Professional
Date of sample: April 30th 2015
Miles on oil: 3,961
Miles on vehicle at time of sample: 65,789
Oil Analysis Lab: ALS Tribology, Georgia branch, using a NAPA FIL 4077 sample kit.
Previous oil used: Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 SN/GF-5
Current oil: Oil was not changed, just sampled.

2006%2BMercury%2BMariner%2BHybrid%2B-%2B3961%2Bmiles%2B-%2BPennzoil%2BUltra%2B5w-20.png.jpg

I ran this until my oil life monitor told me to change my oil, then sampled it. This oil was in service for a year and less than 4,000 miles of mostly short trips, so the OLM did a very low mileage interval. I would say that the car is being very conservative, since there is a remaining TBN of 4.4

The air filter has been in place since 54,484 miles, and has not been removed, nor the air box opened. The Filter Minder still shows zero measurable restriction. At only 3ppm of silicon, I am incredibly impressed by these AC Delco Professional air filters.

It's partially the OLM being conservative but also you used one of the best oils available, so if you were using a lesser oil it might have a much lower TBN after running the same mileage.

seeing a gradual increase in both sodium and potassium,you might be have some coolant begining to appear in the oil.I once had those numbers about six months prior to the head gasket going.

Last edited:
Using Pennzoil Ultra, you're likely safe going a few thousand miles past the OLM, maybe more. Even after a cold winter & short trips. Nice report.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
seeing a gradual increase in both sodium and potassium,you might be have some coolant begining to appear in the oil.I once had those numbers about six months prior to the head gasket going.

That does concern me as well. I plan to keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back