2006 Land Rover LR3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

Just picked up an 06 LR3 with 58K miles as a replacement for my 02 Disco II that was totaled. I was [censored], had my engine pulled and resealed in April when Analysis showed HG leak. My mechaninc said it should be GTG for another 150K. Plus it was long paid for. Some lady not paying attention rear ended me while I was stopped on the interstate at 35+. It really liked Rotella 10w-30 and 5W-40.

The new engine is a Jag 4.4L V8 with 8 quart sump and spec's a 5W-30. Couldn't get a straight answer from the Dealer on exactly what brand oil they changed in it. They said it was Bulk Castrol Semi Syn. I dumped a bottle of Auto-rx in to begin the clean phase when I drove her off the lot. I'll rinse with GTX for 3K then switch to Syn. I checked the oil analysis section but ddidn't see anything for this engine/model. Spec is 7500 mile OCI Anybody have any recommendations?

Last edited:
A couple of good oils come to mind..... German Castrol 0w-30, Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra in 5w-30, or Castrol Edge.

What filters do you have to use with that engine? Pepboys has sales going on with 5 quarts of the German Castrol and a filter for around $30, which would be good for your setup.

Doug - Thanks. Didn't know if a 40 would be too heavy in this engine.

901 - GC was a thought as well. I was thinking either K&N, Wix or Pure One for a filter. About all I could really find other than factory and they are about $5 more than K&N and 8-10 more than the others. does anyboy know if there is a Mobil1 filter for this app?

No Mobil-1 filter available. I ran WIX on my '06 LR3, but switched back to OEM. I have run Quaker State Q-Torque 5w-30, and GC 0w-30. I now have M1 4x4 T&SUV in the engine. No difference noted, and I had the GC in last winter and in 0 degree weather the truck started right up. Huge difference between this engine and the old Buick/Rover v8 huh? Much quicker than my '95 Range Rover Classic.

Last edited:
I live in Northern KY and it gets fairly cold on the coldest winters, i can imagine it gets down to a similar temp in your part of Kentucky. That being said i would probably get the 0w-30 Castrol Syntec if you can find it for a reasonable price, otherwise any of the Mobil 1 products will cheaper in the 5 quart jugs at places like Walmart for around $23 or so.

Any of them should suit your 7.5k OCIs, the regular 5w-30 was reformulated recently and is what i use now, but the Truck and Suv flavor will work well, in addition to the EP if you feel you need the extra protection for a few bucks more.

Are the OEM filters that expensive for your application? I would likely stick with OEM if they are made quality and aren't super expensive.

Last edited:
Little late on the reply:

In my 06 LR3 4.4 I have been using GC 0W-30 on 10-12k km OCI with WIX filters. Engine seems happy with it and minimal consumption.

I do have 8L of Pennzoil Platinum ready to go for next winter as it is a little thinner than the GC in the 0 - -30 celsius range. The GC catches up after that but it rarely gets colder than that here.

I just did the diffs and used Castrol Syntec Syntec 75W-90 as the Castrol XO was impossible to find.

Thanks for all the replies. Im about to drain out the 5W30 PZ for the Auto-rx rinse in about another month and a alf. Have decided to go with PZ Ultra 5W-30.

Guys,

Just finished up my Auto-rx rinse and decided to go with
M1 0w-30 AFE with a pure one filter. Will be sending a sample at 3K for TD to analyze.

Just in two days have noticed a smoother idle down on startup and a little quicker throttle response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back