2006 John deere 4120 and delo multi grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a rib of Chevron delo 400 multi grade for my 02 duramax. Fits all the requirements for that engine.
I'm wondering if I can safely run this in my John deere 4120.
The api ratings for the 4120 call for CJ and higher. According to deere that would be JD 50plusII branded oil.
What I read stated that this oil was to be used in engines with DPF systems which my engine has none of.
So I'm thinking that since tractors did not come out with DPF systems untill 13 that maybe deere was just adopting the higher rated oil sooner?
What do you think. Is multi grade ok to use?

20181129_155520.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, though the fine print in your picture is hard to read, it will be perfectly fine for your Deere.

I pasted his picture into Word and when expanded, it shows his new oil as CJ-4 Plus at the top. It's hard to find any information about the "plus" added to the CJ-4 rating. Your new CJ-4 oil should be fine in your 2006 4120, especially with the ultra low sulfur diesel available everywhere.

The very newest 2018 John Deere literature now shows that Plus-50 II is CK-4: https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5565_fb_Plus5015W40_0W40.htm ..... Maybe this is where the confusion is.

"recommended for four-stroke naturally aspirated, turbocharged diesel engines with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF), Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC), and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)."

Looks like CI-4+ to me which was an evolution of CI-4 and one before CJ-4. Personally I'd absolutely use it, but it's technically one spec older than the required CJ-4 to the best of my knowledge there was no CJ-4+ it went from CJ-4 to CK-4.

This what I was hoping to hear. The whole reason for buying the rib of multigrade was to get away from the delo sde. I have 1 oil change on my duramax with the reformulated delo oil and I can without a doubt hear a valve tick that was not there before draining the crankcase and adding the new oil.
I plan on changing my oil again in the morning to the multi grade. I will post up if the tick is gone after the change.
Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Drywaller,

Just out of curiosity, does the text at the top of the label say CI-4 Plus or CJ-4 Plus?? Like I and FlyNavyP3 stated, a Plus version of CJ-4 is an anomaly.

Thanks.

48...ht=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Drywaller

Off topic but I would guess by your handle you may be familiar with drywall. What is your favorite mud for 2nd and 3rd coats? Back in my youth I worked construction summers to pay for college and worked with a guy who had finished drywall for many years and I learned to mud fairly well. Now 30 yrs later I am finishing my basement. Used USG green lid for taping and bed coat. Used Certainteed ultraflex 325 for inside outside and a few odd angle corners - they did not have that when I was young man is that stuff great but expensive - cut my corner finishing time in half. I found I liked ProForm lite mud a bit better than USG +3 and Topping. We used to squirt some dish soap in our mud back in the day and I did that again - smells nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back