2006 jeep grand cherokee using Mobil1 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
greetings, folks. my 2006 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 5.L hemi V8 requires 5W-20 conventional oil, but i don't trust this thin oil viscosity so i'm using Mobil1 5W-30. i think the requirement to use 5W-20 has to do with the C.A.F.E. mandate. by using 5W-30, would this hurt the engine? hope to get a reply from the pros. thanks
smile.gif

-jon

I am not really familiar with the new hemi's, however I believe they use a cylinder deactivation assembly made by Eaton that requires 5w-20. Like most oil specs, the ones from Eaton cover not only their liability for warranty, but also a wide array of operating conditions. In your climate I doubt 5w-30 will cause any problems as the temperature stays fairly stable all year.

Patrick
biggthumbcoffe.gif

thank you, patrick. yes, the JGC has a cylinder deactivation or MDS (multi-displacement system) 4 out of the 8 cylinders turn off when cruising on the freeway to save gas, thus the use of a thinner oil (5W-20) is called for. in my opinion, 5W-20 is just too thin. i would rather pay more for gas than to compromise the engine with a thin viscosity motor oil. thanks a lot again
smile.gif

Why dont you trust the manufacture? Use what they recommend and if something happens you get yourself a new engine.

i've checked out other SUVs & the oil viscosity they're using, & almost all are using 5W-30. these are 2005 & 2006. so i was wondering why would Chrysler recommend a much thinner oil? anyway, if something happens to the engine it's warranted for 70,000 miles/7 years
smile.gif

(first post ever)

I've got a brand new F150 5.4 Triton that calls for 5w-20 as well. I plan on using it....and I will tow with it as well.

I recall reading snippits here that imply that todays 5W-20 will remain a 5W-20 after 5,000 miles, where yester-years 5w-30 will shear down to a 5w-20 in the first 2-3000 miles. Engine tolerances are a lot tighter than they have been in the past as well which calls for a thinner oil.

.02 the newb
Paul

quote:

i've checked out other SUVs & the oil viscosity they're using, & almost all are using 5W-30. these are 2005 & 2006. so i was wondering why would Chrysler recommend a much thinner oil? anyway, if something happens to the engine it's warranted for 70,000 miles/7 years

First of all the Honda Pilot and CRV as well as all of the Ford SUV's run 5w-20. And, where has their been any proof that 5W-20 is "too thin!"? Chrysler tested the 5.7L very thoroughly to a minimum of 150,000 miles on multiple engines. This has been discussed multiple times on this forum, all of the 5W-20 oils are very good, and people get great UOAs with them.

By the way, I have a 2005 Jeep Grand cherokee with the HEMI myself. I don't hesitate to use 5w-20 in it. I'll be using havoline dino in mine. Rest easy, if you want to go synthetic, go with the mobil 1 5W-20.

Run 5W-20 for the warranty lifetime. The tighter tolerances will eventually enlarge with age - so move up to 5W-30 after the 70,000 miles/7 years.

From what I've read here, Red Line & Amsoil are top-tier 5W-20 synthetics.

You can sleep well using either one. Amsoil prices thru one of the dealers here is a good buy with free shipping.

You are welcome, I should add one more point. While your jeep is under warranty, make sure the oil you use is SM rated. Chrysler calls for SM in their new vehicles, and some of the best synthetic 5w-20 oils are SL rated i.e. redline and royal purple. Mobil 1 and amsoil are OK though!

"I've got a brand new F150 5.4 Triton that calls for 5w-20 as well. I plan on using it....and I will tow with it as well.
I recall reading snippits here that imply that todays 5W-20 will remain a 5W-20 after 5,000 miles, where yester-years 5w-30 will shear down to a 5w-20 in the first 2-3000 miles. Engine tolerances are a lot tighter than they have been in the past as well which calls for a thinner oil."
The Triton was launched in 97. Mods were made to the top end in 00. I can find no evidence that tolerances are tighter to require a thinner oil. The 5-20 is a CAFE ploy to gain increased mileage across the board at Ford, as well as other manufacturers. You can use the 5-20, but if you are towing in hot weather, or overheat, the oil film may not be enough to protect. As usual, the choice is yours. For maximum engine life, personally, I lean toward a slightly heavier oil, always. OTOH, I expect over 200,000 miles from each of my cars.
Here is a quick quote...
" Since its launch, the Triton engine design has proved versatile enough to power the F-Series and Ford's full-size SUVs, yet fully pleases the core market. It pleases Ward's, too, as this year marks the Triton's fourth consecutive year on the 10 Best Engines list.

Last year, Ford engineers reworked the Triton's upper end: The camshaft profile was revised, a larger exhaust valve was specified and the cylinder head casting was redesigned to promote improved tumble motion of the intake charge. The net result was a solid 25 hp, bringing the total to 260 hp. A competitive number, but not the best horsepower rating, which can be a liability in the dog-eat-dog truck market."

Jonblitz: When U get a good account of your MPG with the Hemi: Please PM me or post.

The wife and I was thinking of getting into one of the 2006 Grand Cherokee. {Hemi of course}.

This issue about 5W-20's and tight engine tolerances is basically a myth.

- A 5W-20 is 8.5 cSt at full operating temps, 100C(210F). If the "tolerances are tight", how does the engine turn over when the temps are in the 30 degree range and the oil is 300-400 cSt thick?

Here's an excellent 10W-30 UOA on an 04 Ford F150 5.4L with only 6K on the engine.

Note the wear metals are same as or lower than similar 5W-20 reports on this engine!

FWIW I don't trust thin oil either. I Use 10W-30 Havoline mixed with 15W-40 truck oil. I use this mix (mix 50/50 in the summer and thinner mixtures for winter) and no difference in gas mileage and no particles on the drainplug magnets. I have a 4.7 Dodge, 3.9 Dodge and 2.2 OHV Cavalier.

Nothing against Ford but the current crop of truck V8's just don't sound that beefy. I often wondered if it had something to do with their DOHC setup and valve timing.

quote:

Here's an excellent 10W-30 UOA on an 04 Ford F150 5.4L with only 6K on the engine.

Note the wear metals are same as or lower than similar 5W-20 reports on this engine!

Harumph, I won't even begin to pretend to know more than you guys as I am just a newB here, but that guy changed his oil three times in less than 7,000 miles!! Y'ought to draw and quarter him just for that! I'm going to throw caution to the wind with my new $36,000 investment and mix my oils as seen here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012966
and hope my oil doesn't turn to sour milk after 5,000 miles.
wink.gif

I have a Hemi jeep, and decided to wait till the warrenty period is over to go back to 0/40.mobil syn.Using MC 5w/20 now
Living in Minn. heat is no big problem, with only occational days of 90 degrees. However if I was in the desert SW.............
I would question the wisdom of the entire nation using the 5/20 (like 108 and towing). Time will tell. Maybe the engineers are right on this "20" issue. Thin is in, so it seems, but there is wisdom in the range of europeon oils as well. If I lived down south, perhaps 5/30 would ease my mind.As long as the MDS system still functioned properly.
(The switch into 4 cyl. mode) Why the Jeep didn't put am indicator light on the dash like Chevy Impala's is pinching
pennies in a vital area.

My fiancee has a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but with the 3.7 liter engine. Her Jeep calls for 5w 30. So yes, your 5w 20 is for fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back