2006 Jeep 4.0 I6...don't see any good syn recs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

1.5 mile commute?
Man, put on your coat and hoof it!
I know, the weather sucks, etc.

I would gladly walk when the weather is nice, except it seems the average driver around here has a hard time keeping their vehicle in their lane. This is an extremely busy two lane road, not exactly a safe place for a walk. In this context I'm too cynical to put my pedestrian safety in the hands of the average motorist, though other people do it.

I understand. When I walk or run along a road, it's usually way off to the side the side in the grass or whatever is there.

I had very good results in my Cherokee's last UOA with Havoline 10W30; very low iron, an all-around nice report.
I realize that you asked about synthetics, though.

Hello. I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 liter I-6 engine. It presently has approximately 60000 miles. I started using Castrol Syntec 10w-30 around 20,000 miles (6 month, 4000 mile oci), after using dino 10w-30 for 3000 mile/6 month oci's. After that I used Amsoil 10w-30 with the older amsoil filter for a 12 mont oci( 6500 miles). After that I used Amsoil 0w-30 with the older filter for 12 months (6500 miles). I used Mobil-1 silver cap synthetic and their filter for 1 year and 7000 mile oci. For the last couple years I have used Extended Mobil-1 gold cap 10w-30 with the extended oil filter for 1 year 7500-8000 oci's. The car oil has never had a lab test performed. It runs great, no leaks, and the oil pressure at start up is quick and steady on the road. I have never intentionally flushed the motor.

I like synthetics in the motor, tranny(amsoil), and the front(amsoil) and rear(mobil) differentials.

With the change in the Mobil 1 formulation(with probably no change in cost), I am looking at the 0w-30 German Castrol. I liked the Amsoil 0w-30 experience.

I regret that I have no factual or scientific evidence of the great benefits of syntheic oils and lubes, but I drive my jeep hard (short trips and a lot of city type driving).

I love that 4-liter Jeep six cylinder engine.

Quote:

BUT, who the !@#$% puts those oil filters on at the factory?!?! I think either a 5,000 gorilla or perhaps some type of dinosaur. Good GOSH!!! I had to drive a knife through the filter, and use it as a pry-bar, for 2 complete revolutions, until I could use my hand.

WOW, what was the point of that?

I have an 06 Wrangler with the 4.0 and experienced the same thing when I dumped the factory fill at 1200 miles. I used a strap wrench and crushed the filter. Then I had to drive a screwdriver threw it to get it off. I have no idea why they would be put on that tight from the factory.

I bought 6 cases of PP at the BOGO sale a AA. Going to use that with PureOne filters until it runs out.
JKH

Quote:

Quote:

BUT, who the !@#$% puts those oil filters on at the factory?!?! I think either a 5,000 gorilla or perhaps some type of dinosaur.
JKH

All these reports of overtightened factory filters make me wonder if thy aren't using a robot to install factory filters. Then it would be very easy to have every single one overtightened and overlooked as fianl test might be any leaks? , nope no leaks, good to go.

I'll throw in my
twocents.gif

I'd use your 10w-30 of choice for 6 month OCIs. If you do enough mileage ..use a synth. Operating strictly under your described conditions ..you could use a 5w-20 and not be too thin.

I don't follow my own advice. I use RTS year round as one poster suggested. This is in a short trip 2.5. There may be a corrosive component to it ..or it may have been my fuel dilution issues ..but my Fe was still higher then I like. I had no bearing wear. Not even 1ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back