2006 Honda VFR800 amsoil 15w40 diesil, 1900 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was afraid this oil had too much calcium in it for cleaning ,but the lab result shows okay.

Amsoil 15w40 diesil
1900 miles, bike has 8,000 miles total

Aluminum 8
Chromium 0
iron 9
lead 20 vp leaded
moly 3
boron 1
silcon 3
soduim 4
calcium 3170
magnesium 8
phosphorus 1065
zinc 1289

viscosity at 210 degrees 62.9 flashpoint 370

fuel 2.3%

what ya think?

A note they said, insolubles where at a very low .1 , this says your engine is recieving good oil filtration and excellent combustion.

Vfr is a warm running engine kinda of surprising some insolubles from heat oxidation didnt occur.

The only thing I dont like is the Flash point isnt holding.

At 2.3% fuel I'm surprised the flashpoint isn't even lower. It also effected the viscosity. Is this type of fuel dilution normal for this bike?

The oil seems to have held up fine and protected well, to go along with the insolubles comment.

Pablo, I ride alot of rough road and I think that aides in the fuel dilution. My last batch test was 5w40 rotella, but only 1100 miles, there was a trace of fuel but below 2%. This run being 1900 miles evidently allowed higher fuel dilution.

I agree the performance of the oil is good, but I'd like to go longer than 2000 miles, but the flashpoint fell so much on this oil It's probably about where it needs to come out.IMO

The wear metals and insoluables on rotella at 1100 miles and Amsoil at 1900 miles where pretty indentical.

which leaves me the question of what to do, 15w50 ?

Did you sample the oil hot, after a good ride?

The oil is not to blame for the flashpoint lowering, but I agree it probably should come out.

If there is nothing you can do to lower the fuel dilution, (tuning??) then you could consider a good 20W-50 - but still fuel in the crankcase is never really a good thing. Honestly, try the same oil again but figure out the fuel dilution.

Yes both fuel samples I've tested were immediately after 5 or 6 hour runs.

a motard(offroad) bike I had, rode 2000 mile(normal change out) miles on the oil, I drained it and the fuel smell about knocked me out. No telling what the dilution was on that oil Id say greater than 5%. That scared me a little, but it only did that once. I ran that bike 40,000 miles at Full throttle and rpm conditions many times. The engine was still very sound, no oil usage.

But right now, attempting any tuning would be on the back burner.

I agree with Pablo...I'd run 20w-50 and let the fuel thin it out a grade. The level of fuel is not going to keep increasing, as it will reach an equilibrium level after several hundred miles. Higher fuel levels will degrade the oil that much faster however.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back