2006 Honda Ridgeline with 232,316 on spark plugs

mez

Please NO bashing me! I needed to get the timing belt replaced since it was last done around 120k miles ago so I decided to let the shop replace the spark plugs that has been in the car since I purchased used in 2006 with 17k miles. Attached is picture of a new one and the 6 original plugs with 232,316 miles on them. What you think, I could of gotten 300k+ out the spark plugs?

Attachments

• new plug.jpg
    new plug.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 91
  • spark plugs with 232316 miles.pdf
    703.2 KB · Views: 221
"What you think, I could of gotten 300k+ out the spark plugs?"

My question to you is...why would you even want to try? To use the plugs even longer is just, surely, putting more strain on other ignition system components and making those components more likely to fail. Just because something *might* last longer is no reason to push it and face the consequences.

Just my 02.

Ed

Electrodes look okay, but I'd also be concerned about the threads getting stuck in the head.
I'm a low mileage driver and the last time I replaced iridium plugs was because it was 10 years, but only 60K miles.
p.s. There's the image of one of those plugs in my avatar.

Last edited:
The plugs on my Prius look worse than that after ~60k miles. Those look pretty darn good for 232k miles.

Electrodes look okay, but I'd also be concerned about the threads getting stuck in the head.
I'm a low mileage driver and the last time I replaced iridium plugs was because it was 10 years, but only 60K miles.
p.s. There's the image of one of those plugs in my avatar.

I'm with you. I have a 15 F150 that does not get many miles per year (55k so far). Even thought predominately highway I'll end up changing them at about 60k. Call if trauma from 2004 F150 and that not so great 2 piece plug design that breaks easily. Opposite is the 17 Subaru. I have about 91k on it and even though Subaru says 60 plug changes, I'll be doing it closer to 100k. IMHO a lot depends on how you drive it and time as well.

Years from now if I am still around and still have my 2016 Honda CR-V I will remember that Honda truly does mane engines with plugs that can go the recommended long ( over 100 K miles ) on original plugs before I consider early changing mine. OP, thank you for the post.

At about 5 or 6 K miles per year and at only 26,3XX miles on it now, that is going to be awhile.

Maybe when they get to 10 years old I break them loose a couple of turns and tighten them back up, just so they will be easier to change when they do get enough miles on them.

Last edited:
Well, how does it run with the new plugs? The old ones dont look bad for that mileage.
Truck was running great before plugs were changed. Going on a 2K round trip next week. We'll see if any improvement in mpg happens.

I have treated the cylinder of each of my generators with Sta-Bil Fogging Oil treatment after every run, before putting them away for storage, by removing the spark-plug and spraying in the Sta-Bil, putting a rag over the spark-plug hole and pulling the rope a few times, and then reinstalling the same spark-plug, and slowly pulling the rope and stopping on compression so the valves are closed and the valve springs are in minimum compression. Both of my generators have aluminum heads. You have to snug them some, but not go gorilla tight on them. If I knew what torque to use to re-install them I would use a torque wrench. I have 1/4 ", 3/8", and 1/2" drive torque wrenches. I also have extensions with locking ends so the spark-plug socket will not come off and be stuck in the well. When I was a kid we had a rowboat with a 5.5 HP Sears Ted Williams outboard. That thing ran gas mixed with a lot of oil, and was prone to fouling the spark-plug. My brothers and dad and I had to remove the plug from that many times and eventually after several years stripped the aluminum threads. We helicoiled it, and also bought a spare head. But by then we all learned not to over-tighten the spark-plug and never had to use the spare head.

But Vladiator, you have a good point, I will have to remember that the heads on the CR-V are also aluminum.

Last edited:
Back