2006 Honda Accord UOA HGSB 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a revised UOA on my 2006 Honda Accord. I noticed the additive levels in the original seemed off for the Honda Conoco Phillips oil, so I mentioned it to Blackstone and the happily re-sampled it for me. The tin dropped from 3 ppm to 0 ppm. All other wear metals stayed the same, and the additives dropped down into the range I expected them to be for the Honda blend. I am happy with the "wear" numbers, they are the lowest I have seen them. When viewing other Honda 0w20 UOA's I have always seen high AL and sometimes high IRON, not the case here thankfully. Not sure why there is a trace of fuel this time. I did even shorter trips in the winter and had no noticeable fuel present. Anyway, here is the report. Oh, and a Fram Ultra was used.
20141014_1839081_zpsb5b7fba2.jpg

3253 or 3263? Wow great use of some 0w20.

Lemme guess the Fram ultra was replaced as well at that interval?

Since your is not a DI engine why even bother a uoa on such a short run? I'm just curious, because I would like to understand the logical reasoning behind this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
3253 or 3263? Wow great use of some 0w20.

Lemme guess the Fram ultra was replaced as well at that interval?

Since your is not a DI engine why ever both a uoa on such a short run? I'm just curious, because I would like to understand the logical reasoning behind this.

Coolant level has been dropping in the overflow tank. That, and the fact that I wanted to change at 125K so I could have even 5K OCI's moving forward was the reasoning behind it. Hopefully I can hold out
wink.gif
It takes me a long time to rack up 5K!

Ooooooooooh ok, coolant level.

Your sodium is fine, it's not your head gasket, fix the coolant leak that is occurring somewhere, I have found the water pump to start "weeping" (I think that is the term) and I have been told you can have slow coolant loss that way.

I'm pretty sure the water pump is a joke to change on this car.

My Celica GTS had a "weeping" water pump that I saw during the engine rebuild, I replaced it as it was recommended by others.

Ooooooooooh ok, coolant level.

Your sodium is fine, it's not your head gasket, fix the coolant leak that is occurring somewhere, I have found the water pump to start "weeping" (I think that is the term) and I have been told you can have slow coolant loss that way.

I'm pretty sure the water pump is a joke to change on this car.

I haven't seen any fluids on the ground. I opened up the radiator and its completely full. Not sure how the whole system works as far as overflow in relation to radiator level. I am hoping its just evaporation. Coolant was drained and filled over 2 years ago.

Overflow tank leaking? Just a thought, I have never experienced coolant loss other then a leak.

evaporated? Inside of the system...weird

Overflow tank leaking? Just a thought, I have never experienced coolant loss other then a leak.

Well, thats what a couple people said it could be. On this site in a previous post actually. But I wanted to have a sample done anyway.

I received an email from Blackstone saying that they were going to re-test this sample again for a third data point. Guess Ill hear back on that one soon. I will share when I receive it.

Ok, here is the 3rd UOA of the same sample. They retested it because of the TIN jumping around. Well unfortunately it went up again, along with the lead. Here you go.
20141015_1441261_zps51e8e21d.jpg

do you drive like a grandma? if so go through a few cycles of WOT/italian tune ups to clear things up every once in a while, I think it might help with fuel dilution as well but my suggestion would be a Fuel injector cleaning service ($120ish shipped back and forth)

I get better then the EPA estimated mpg for all 5 of the vehicles that I maintain and I got RC Engineering to do the service for me each time, it was highly recommended to me by a toyotanation member and I would like to recommend as well.

There is a member here who does this service but I haven't used it to comment on his results but other members seem to be happy with it, I'm not sure if there happiness comes with multiple fuel log entries throughout the year to verify if the service made a difference or not. I have 2 years worth of entries on all the vehicles showing before and after the service.

do you drive like a grandma? if so go through a few cycles of WOT/italian tune ups to clear things up every once in a while, I think it might help with fuel dilution as well but my suggestion would be a Fuel injector cleaning service ($120ish shipped back and forth)

I get better then the EPA estimated mpg for all 5 of the vehicles that I maintain and I got RC Engineering to do the service for me each time, it was highly recommended to me by a toyotanation member and I would like to recommend as well.

There is a member here who does this service but I haven't used it to comment on his results but other members seem to be happy with it, I'm not sure if there happiness comes with multiple fuel log entries throughout the year to verify if the service made a difference or not. I have 2 years worth of entries on all the vehicles showing before and after the service.

I am a conservative driver. I dont often have a chance to go WOT since I am constantly driving around town where the oil never heats up. When I get on the interstate I let it rev up to 4,000 RPM +/-. Usually run a Techron dose before each OCI as well.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Ok, here is the 3rd UOA of the same sample. They retested it because of the TIN jumping around. Well unfortunately it went up again, along with the lead.

2 ppm of anything is just noise. Stop worrying about it.

Honda's overflow tank is not pressurized, so it is subject to evaporation. Systems not generally subject to evaporation are where the pressure cap is on the expansion tank (such as on a number of GM vehicles). But with most systems, Honda's included, the pressure cap is on the radiator itself and the tank is simply an overflow tank into which it can push "extra" coolant and from which it can draw coolant if there is a leak. But, with the overflow tank being essentially open to the atmosphere (despite the threaded cap), liquid can also evaporate from it.

It shouldn't be much, though. If it's noticeable over a time period of less than a year, there may be a small leak somewhere.

On my 2005 2.4L Honda, I add about 6 ounces to the overflow tank in a year. UOAs show no coolant leak

BTW, my UOAs look a lot better than that at 5 to 7.5K interval with 5-30 QSUD

Wow is this thread splitting hairs on a UOA that looks like virgin oil.

These Honda 2.4's can run ANY oil for well over 7k miles. To pay for a UOA at 3k is a complete waste. You will not find any decent wear metal numbers at that mileage to track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back