2006 Honda Accord Tires - Cheap recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently picked up a 2006 Honda Accord EX for my kids to use. The car is in good shape mechanically but could use a little work cosmetically. Just finished doing brake pads & rotors and changed the majority of the fluids.

Unfortunately, the car needs new tires 205/60/16 (fronts are down to the wear-bars, and rear tires are choppy). We don't have a lot to spend so we are thinking about dropping down from V speed rated tires to H speed rating.

We are looking for something fairly inexpensive (around $50 or so a tire as we still need to get them mounted, and the car aligned). What would you go with?

Westlake RP18 $44.85
ProMeter LL821 $47.72
Douglas Performance $52
Mastercraft SRT Touring $53.04
Milestar MS932 $55.97
Radar Dimax AS-8 $56.04
Ohtsu FP0612 $59.45
Achilles 123 $57.60
Ohtsu F97000 $60.00
Kumbo Solus TA31 $62.10
Cooper CS3 $66.29

I narrowed the list a little and made some comments. The Starfire RS-C 2.0 made by Cooper is another contender to check out. Also see the link below:

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/top-10-lowest-priced-tires/

Originally Posted by Picky1

Westlake RP18 $44.85 Hard to beat price.
Douglas Performance $52 Decent tire and price.
Mastercraft SRT Touring $53.04 This.
Milestar MS932 $55.97
Ohtsu FP0612 $59.45
Ohtsu F97000 $60.00
Kumbo Solus TA31 $62.10
Cooper CS3 $66.29 Replaced by another Cooper tire so not made anymore.

General Altimax RT43's are quality tires at a reasonable price. They have good reports from Tire Rack and Consumer Reports.

The Cooper CS3 Touring is a very nice tire for the money. I had a set on a 2006 Hyundai Tucson. Cooper has upgraded and changed the name to the Cooper Evolution.

The MileStar tires are on of the very few Chinese tires that get decent reviews. That's what I would go with.

Originally Posted by Danno
for my kids to use.

Exactly why I wouldn't look at anything less than 8.0 out of 10 at tire rack.

They use a 0 - 5 scale so nothing less than 4.0 out of 5 in this case.

I purchased some Hankook (the Chinese variant, they have multiple manufacturing sites) cheap tires for my Jag X-Type. They were horrible beyond belief. Within short order, the steering wheel started shaking, even at parking lot speeds, so I rotated tires.

The problem went away for a week or two and I ignored it. But the shake grew worse. Come to find out, the tread was bulging in multiple spots on EVERY TIRE due to air being trapped under the tread. Total lifespan was about 7000 miles before it became intolerable.

While they never popped, the tread blisters were a "loud and clear" indication of high risk and incredibly poor quality. I will never purchase cheap tires again. Ever.

Let me appeal to your emotional side, there are some life/death/injury problems technology can solve, and good tires go a very long way towards solving that problem.

Last edited:
Another option is used tires. There are numerous shops around here where you can pick up from 1 to 4 tires, often times getting a high quality tire.
I hate cheap tires.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by Danno
for my kids to use.

Exactly why I wouldn't look at anything less than 8.0 out of 10 at tire rack.

They use a 0 - 5 scale so nothing less than 4.0 out of 5 in this case.

They use a 10 scale on the more detailed reviews with colour coding.
Scroll down to survey results.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ord%20Sedan%20EX%204cyl&autoModClar=

I have the Douglas performance tires on my VW TDI and they have been great. Never any issues with traction in any weather, including snow, no noise, no vibrations and decent treadwear. This car will def light em up if you pull away too quickly and with these tires it won't break them loose, so they must be doing a decent job. They are 45k tires. I have just about 45k on mine, rotated every 7500 and I would say they are about half worn. I got them because I needed the cheapest tires I could find to pass inspection, very pleasantly surprised. Even had walmart's lifetime rotation and balancing which saves me the trouble to have to do it myself. Wasn't expecting to like them and really did. On my other VW TDI I put on Cooper CS5 ultra tourings and it lost 5 MPG and they flat spot after sitting an hour, even in the summer. Never again buying something from Cooper, even though traction is decent.

Here is what I would do: https://www.walmart.com/nco/Save-30...TRA-TOURING-205-60R16-92H-Tire/116451901
Buy two sets of two, and it comes out to $65.46 per tire.

Or, if you want to stay with a quality "V" rated tire: https://www.walmart.com/nco/Save-30...TRA-TOURING-205-60R16-92V-Tire/203138690
Comes out to $68.05 per tire when you purchase two sets of two.

Or, if you want the best quality inexpensive tire: https://www.walmart.com/nco/Save-30...lution-Tour-205-60R16-92H-Tire/384430909
Comes out to $59.21 per tire when you buy two sets of two.

One of these three options and you come out a winner with safe dependable brand name tires, MADE in the USA!!! You already worry enough about with your kid being safe on the roads. Don't buy cheap sketchy tires. Buy inexpensive quality tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back