2006 Honda Accord front brake job...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best advice that I can give you is to find a trustworthy mechanic and stick with him.

I personally do very little of my own wrenching even though my garage is overfilling with tools. I hand the mechanic the parts and just oversee the job. May be you can do that too.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: redhat
buy centric rotors from amazon with akebono proact ceramic pads

since you can't DIY, go to the nearest competent mechanic and have them do the job

Ok, I did just that. Is this what you have on your Accord? I ordered Centric 120.40036 Premium Brake Rotor, and
Akebono ACT914 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set. Can anybody confirm these are the right part numbers for my 2006 Honda Accord 2.4 LX. Front disc and rear drums. I will take them down to my local shop and hope they will agree to install them.

Check out discountbrakes.com - their pricing on centric stuff seems better than amazon.

there was a time my mechanic was on vacation, and I was uneducated....agree for a $450 job on the rear many many years ago, to resurface, and install a new pad. then my trusted mechanic told me the brake on the L4 7G Accord is prong to frozen pin/pad and uneven wear, and the OE rotors were bad as well. He also told me not ever let dealer resurface the rotor, because $ dealer charge to surface is enough to buy a good new rotor anyway. All Honda/Acura dealers here stress the importance of ANNUAL clean and lub brake system, cost $300+tax or more for all 4 corners. He told me "after resurface, the rotor is thinner and even more prong to wrap. do the match, kid, you save enough money to buy a new set or even upgrade 4 corners if you skip 2 years"
My own experience; do slappy brake job is very easy, but properly cleaning and lubricating brake system is time and energy consuming. and I would understand some want shop to handle it.
you can still keep the old rotors, resurface, and coat with oil and keep it in storage for future use.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Why not diy?they're very easy and you can save quite a bit of money. Have the rotors turned and install new oem equivalent pads or replace rotors with good quality parts. You could do it yourself for under 150 and it would take less than an hour.

I do not have the tools necessary, and I am not interested. Just asking about the options I listed in my original post, thanks for the suggestion though!

unless your an old man, that's a poor excuse for a BITOGer! you mean you don't have a 14mm,17mm,19mm socket? and a ratchet with a metal pipe to increase the level arm to break some bolts? omg!
+1 Exactly. Doing brakes is basic tools. Just a ratchet and maybe a 17mm and a C-clamp

No offence intended to the OP, but if he doesn't own a basic spanner set, or know what runout is, he really should leave this job to a professional...brakes aren't something to be messing with if you have no idea!

Originally Posted By: hpb
No offence intended to the OP, but if he doesn't own a basic spanner set, or know what runout is, he really should leave this job to a professional...brakes aren't something to be messing with if you have no idea!

This is one occasion when it is best to NOT DIY and let a
professional reputable shop do the job. One simple mistake could cause a serious accident and kill people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back