2006 Heavy-Duty-Truck Comparison Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all you heavy haulers out there...

cheers.gif

2006 Heavy-Duty Truck Comparison Test

Kinda getting off topic here, but I saw a truly vulgar rear window sticker on a diesel Ram a while back. It said: "Cummins' better than 'Strok'in"
nono.gif

ok it's kinda funny
tongue.gif
, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a 10 year old!

jeff

quote:

Originally posted by KJA426:
I'd take the Dodge with the Cummins anyday.

Any particular reason? I'm not a hauler, but all I hear are good things about the Allison trans. in the Chevrolet/GMC. Also, it seems that the Chrysler rear ends leak on just about every RWD truck/SUV I come across.

quote:

Any particular reason? I'm not a hauler, but all I hear are good things about the Allison trans. in the Chevrolet/GMC. Also, it seems that the Chrysler rear ends leak on just about every RWD truck/SUV I come across.

360 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque is hard to beat in the GM.

quote:

Originally posted by mshu7:

quote:

Dodge now sources their axles from the same vendor as GM. The Allison is a very good transmission and superior to the four speed Dodge. Next year Dodge will use a new five speed automatic along with a larger 6.7 Cummins. The DuraMax or PowerStroke just aren't in the same league as a Cummins. 500,000 miles is ice cream for a Cummins. It will cost significant repair bills to get a DMax or PS that far.
cheers.gif

You can't beat that Cummins engine and it really feels like a truck engine compared to the high winding 6.0 powerstroke. Not to mention the 6.0 has been plagued with problems galore. I don't know of an engine in the past few years that has had so many issues. The new Duramax was a nice powerplant teamed up with an impressive Allison transmission, it really goes! I think I would take the Dodge with the 6-spd manual but the Ford truck itself feels very stout, too bad it doesn't have a reliable engine to back it up. I will be interested to hear about the new GM truck coming out for `07...but best overall would be a diesel in a 1/2 ton F-150!

quote:

My friend who was really into trucks always said a cummins was the diesel you could put a stacks on and have it sound like a semi and he was right. And I like the fact that it has 24 valves.

quote:

Originally posted by windnsea00:
...but best overall would be a diesel in a 1/2 ton F-150!

Word is you will see that soon. I doubt it will have any where near the tow/haul capability of any presently available.

quote:

Originally posted by Russ300H:
500,000 miles is ice cream for a Cummins.
cheers.gif

Too bad the rest of the truck wouldn't make it.

The Cummins is an awesome engine, but that one atribute alone does not make the Dodge Ram superior to Chevy or Ford. Ford sells a lot of trucks and Chevy has the highest resale value for a reason.

IMO, the ultimate truck would be a F350 SuperDuty with a Cummins engine and Allison tranny.

IDK about that theirs a 1990 something Dodge Cummins around my neck of the woods with over a million miles on it. Its used to tow His Horses to their buyers. Which is a everyday thing. Same body I think the trans was rebuilt around 600K but other than that nothing to the rest of the truck Im aware of other than maintenance.

I would not buy a GM 2500 4x4 considering that both Dodge and Ford are available with solid front axles. IFS is fine in a 1/2 ton or mini truck, but not in the big dogs.

quote:

Originally posted by adam123:
Id take the cummins Over anything Chevy and Ford offer (Unless they can pull a rabit out of their hat). The cummins has been proven time and time again. Its the Motor to beat.

The main problem with the Cummins engine is that it has a Dodge truck wrapped around it! Whenever I get in a five year old Dodge, it's fit,finish, and paint aren't going the distance.

I have always thought that if a pickup maker could strike a deal to have a yellow CAT engine in their truck, folks would line up at the door to buy it based on the name alone.

Wanting a "Ford truck with chevy stuff" was a popular statement among the older guys where I grew up when talking about 1/2 ton pick up trucks.

I think the cummins is the best engine of the bunch in the worst truck.

I think the Ford is a much better vehicle compared to the Dodge p/u.

I have no need nor want for a diesel but as far as new trucks go I think the Ford is better than the competition at this time.

Id take the cummins Over anything Chevy and Ford offer (Unless they can pull a rabit out of their hat). The cummins has been proven time and time again. Its the Motor to beat.

The "cummins is king" crap is getting old. The new Cummins 5.9L is no longer immune to common engine problems. It has turbo, injector, and pump failures like just like any other. It no longer has the most power. It no longer has the best fuel mileage. It no longer has the most low end grunt. It is a good engine, just not the best.

I owned a 1999 24V Cummins... sounded great and in 1999 was a great diesel engine. If I wanted one of the "mighty Cummins" engines, it would be a 1994-1998 12V. Those will run forever and take a ton of abuse.

I am glad this test showed that the Duramax is here to stay.

I will agree that the Ford Superduty is the best truck, but it has the weakest engine and an average transmission at best. My 2001 F350 with 110k miles on it still felt like a new truck.

I love my Duramax/Allison combo... but the Chevy truck part is nothing special. At 10,000 miles it rattles more than my 110k mile Ford and just doesn't feel like a big truck. Good for some people, bad for others. Again, the Duramax is clearly the diesel to beat right now. The best fuel mileage and the most power... c'mon now...

Nice comparo. It's another example of praise for the Allison transmission. The Isuzu diesel has given Chevy a solid engine as part of the powertrain package as well.

Anybody remember the old EE - SUE - ZUU commercials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back