2006 Grand Caravan no electrical power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

Just recently my 2006 Grand Caravan (SXT with 3.8 liter engine) would not start. All electrical quit as nothing worked (dash, dome lights, nothing). I cycled the key a few times and power came back and it started. I was hoping that was just a fluke. Today it did it again... fortunately I was home.

I cycled the key a few times but this time no change. I tried my wife's keys thinking maybe my chipped key was bad. No difference. Since it is 100% dead, I checked online for where the fuse-able link is. It appears the newer Caravans do not have fuse-able links.

According to my cheap electrical tester the battery voltage was 12.x volts. A little low, but even with a charger on it the van is still dead.

Anyone have this happen? Any ideas of what I should check?

TIA,

Brad

I'd check that wire that goes from the negative on the battery to the frame and all the battery connections.

Though, not sure why you're suspecting the key when the lights are not working and they're not dependent on the key.

Everything is dead? Headlights and horn?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'd check that wire that goes from the negative on the battery to the frame and all the battery connections.

Though, not sure why you're suspecting the key when the lights are not working and they're not dependent on the key.

Everything is dead? Headlights and horn?

The reason I checked the key is it has the chipped key, and I was thinking maybe the van has anti-theft and it cut power due to not recognizing my key. It was worth a try.

Everything is dead just as if it had no battery in it. I will check the frame ground. The terminals looked fine with a visual inspection but I will remove the cables and clean them.

I fixed it. The cables on the battery were good, but then I noticed a previous owner replaced the negative battery terminal. They used the wrong terminal so the contact with the battery was minimal. I cleaned it and it started right up. Some time soon I will need to re-do that terminal.

Thanks to Leo99's suggestion, I was in the process of getting to the ground and discovered the battery terminal problem.

It's a great feeling to fix it yourself and especially when it's a simple fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back