2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0L Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here ia my most recent UOA. Have not done one for this vehicle in a long time.

Facts:

2006 GMC Sierra Denali Crewcab truck
6.0L HO V-8 345hp
Miles on oil -

Tried to edit the above post, but the system won't let me. Anyway ..

Miles on oil = 2,913
Miles on Truck = 42,783

CLICK ON THE PICTURE FOR A LARGER VIEW. SORRY FOR THE POOR QUALITY!!

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS:

It's been quite a while since we've seen a sample from your Denali and the engine that powers it
has gained many miles in the meantime. By now all wear should be reading fairly close to universal average
levels but you can see that copper is still well above average. This level shows excess wear at a
brass/bronze part. As all other wear read normally we aren't too worried about it but we do think it warrants
monitoring. No harmful contaminants were found. The TBN read 3.2 so you still had some active additive
left. 1.0 is low. Check back in ~4K miles for another look.

Before anybody blasts me for the short interval
grin2.gif
- I never run this short. I usually go to 25% on the oil life which puts me right around 5-6,000 miles. I usually run a Mobil 1 or Bosch filter but ran a Supertech this time knowing I was running a short interval this time. I am towing my RV next week for a little vacation and wanted to have fresh oil in it before I left. We're at 100-104 degrees everyday here in Texas.

Anyway - I am gonna send another sample at 4,000 like Blackstone wants me to so we can see what's up with this strange wear!
crazy2.gif

Well I cannot seem to figure out the Webshots thing..it won't let others view in full screen so you can read the darn thing. I will try a cut/paste and post here.

Here you all go:

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 13 (low iron for Mobil 1
grin2.gif
) Universal avg is 19

COPPER 76** universal Avg is 37 and my previous UOA's were 138 and 142 so copper is dropping..

LEAD 11
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 78
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 45
SILICON 13
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 2244
MAGNESIUM 12
PHOSPHORUS 560
ZINC 762
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 60.7
Flashpoint in °F 405
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 3.2

What oil are you using I saw the M1/supertec filter deiscussion, but missed the oil brand/viscosity. I only ask because silicon looks out of whack unless it's part of the add pack? TBN took a hit for that short of an interval too. Do you have any transmission codes? You might have a thrust bearing going out do to a ballooned converter.

Originally Posted By: pickled
What oil are you using I saw the M1/supertec filter deiscussion, but missed the oil brand/viscosity. I only ask because silicon looks out of whack unless it's part of the add pack? TBN took a hit for that short of an interval too. Do you have any transmission codes? You might have a thrust bearing going out do to a ballooned converter.

The oil was Mobil 1 10W/30. Has been the only oil used. There are no codes at all and the truck runs great. Funny you mention the tranny because it had some major warranty work done the first year I had it and always felt a little scared at what may happen down the road due to the dealer repair. The trans does act right, there is a slight whirl sound sometimes under hard acceleration, but has always done that. Hopefully since the copper is going down each UOA there is no trouble. I just hope that doesn't mean that whatever part is losing matter is wore away!!

Less than 3k miles on the oil, in an engine that is broken in...I'd say those aren't good numbers at all, especially the copper. I know GM's throw a lot, but it should be lower. I also know you stated that the UA for iron is 19, but its probably for a lot more than 3k miles, so its still high.

You'd get better results on dino oil at 3k miles intervals, and not waste as much money.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Why do GM V8s show high copper. Here's an example.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1470696#Post1470696

After reading that UOA it appears that the Royal Purple oil was causing this. The past UOA's were fine with copper but just the last one was high. Read the blackstone comments on the report.

But I am still leary of my last report. I am going to do 3 things:

1. drain out the M1 oil at 4k (or sooner since I am worried!) and send another sample in like Blackstone requests

2. Run another oil and UOA it and see what changes. I plan on running Pennzoil Platinum to see if that works better.

3. LEARN HOW TO POST UOA REPORTS SO WE CAN READ THEM!!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjamming
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Read the blackstone comments on the report.

Did you post them in the Humor section?
LOL.gif

Actually it was not Royal Purple in that other guys report, it was RLI. My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back