2006 GMC Sierra 5.8l factory oil

IIRC back then it was Mobil 5W30 that met GM 6094M. The consumer version I believe was labeled Mobil Clean and was likely considered a "dino" based oil.

Is there any downside at 42,000 miles to convert from Dino to SS or Full Synthetic?

Thanks,

George

Not at all. You can buy excellent Grp 3 "synthetic" oils currently for a bit more than 2 bucks a quart... a couple examples are WalMart Supertech and Costco Kirkland.

5.8L? You mean 5.3L? Or 4.8L? Use anything you want. Seriously. It's hard to kill either engine. But I prefer synthetics myself. Not a fan of house brand oils like Kirkland, Supertech, etc. but that's my personal bias. They all carry the proper certifications.

Sorry, 5.3L. I have taken a Toyota to 300K with Penzoil SS with great results so I am thinking of switching from Penzoil dino on this truck.

George

My 2006 Silverado with the same 5.3L (L59) engine absolutely loves Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD) full synthetic 5W-30. As of recently, this oil is now called Quaker State Full Synthetic (QSFS).

With your warmer weather down in Florida, you could easily bump up to QSFS 10W-30 -- there's no need for the lower 5W winter weight.

Another great Shell Oil Products of the U.S. (SOPUS) oil your truck would like is Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30. It's very similar to QSFS, but with slightly more fortified add pack. Did I mention that both are thicker 5W-30 SOPUS oils...?

Last edited:
Just as cheap to do Pennzoil Plat and a Fram Ultra. Better filter and better oil for the same price if not cheaper.
Even though it's a SOPUS product, I wouldn't run thin PP in hot Florida... nope!

I'm a thickie?

Last edited:
Because all full synthetics are too thin in your opinion or this one in particular is too thin?

George
PP's 100 deg C viscosity number is on the low end for 5W-30 synthetics, while both QS FS (QSUD of old) and Rotella GT are on the high end. All three are SOPUS products.

I'm sure PP is fine for many or most situations where it meets specs. But, call me a "thickie" and give me the QSFS (QSUD) or RGT mentioned above!

Next stop for me are M1 0W-40 OCI's in my vehicles. I'm expecting excellent results.

:)

Last edited:
PP's 100 deg C viscosity number is on the low end for 5W-30 synthetics, while both QS FS (QSUD of old) and Rotella GT are on the high end. All three are SOPUS products.

I'm sure PP is fine for many or most situations where it meets specs. But, call me a "thickie" and give me the QSFS (QSUD) or RGT mentioned above!

Next stop for me are M1 0W-40 OCI's in my vehicles. I'm expecting excellent results.

:)
Both my 2005 4.8L GM truck and 76 Oldsmobile 350 V8 seem happy on m1 0w40. Going into winter the 0w seems like a good choice for minus 30C cold starts. From now on my using it exclusively in both of those vehicles and my 6hp Briggs and Stratton lawn mower.

Reactions: 4WD
Both my 2005 4.8L GM truck and 76 Oldsmobile 350 V8 seem happy on m1 0w40. Going into winter the 0w seems like a good choice for minus 30C cold starts. From now on my using it exclusively in both of those vehicles and my 6hp Briggs and Stratton lawn mower.
Nice to hear!

Back