2006 GM LS7

Hey I get the first try! The only thing that stands out to me is the lack of a Mobil 1 sticker. Must have some huge tires to tame 500 hp!

quote:
Originally posted by Jelly: can anyone spot what's missing and what that means?
Piston slap? That means that people won't be wasting their time fretting about the dreaded knocking noise when the engine is first started. [Big Grin]

Jelly

quote:
Originally posted by jafo: Where do you add oil?
Yes sir, that's what is missing. Now...what does that mean?

Maybe you have to remove an engine cover? Does anyone know what oil they are going to recomend in this engine?

Jelly

quote:
Originally posted by T-Keith: Maybe you have to remove an engine cover?
Nope. Give you a hint...do you see a dipstick?

Oh I got it! Lifetime oil fill! But seriously...maybe it means you HAVE to go to the dealer for any type of oil service, as well as rely on lights to tell you when the level is low.

quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
Originally posted by T-Keith: Maybe you have to remove an engine cover?
Nope. Give you a hint...do you see a dipstick?

i could be wrong, but i think you simply do remove one of those covers. if they're anything like on the C5, they easily pop out. the current LSx engines have the oil fill cap on the valve cover, which is under the covers in the pic. i also am pretty sure the LSx engines have the yellow handled dipsticks, meaning the dipstick should be easily seen. but it's not. so you may be right after all, but i find it really hard to believe gm would go in that direction with (of all things) the corvette. -michael

quote:
Originally posted by kevm14: Oh I got it! Lifetime oil fill! But seriously...maybe it means you HAVE to go to the dealer for any type of oil service, as well as rely on lights to tell you when the level is low.
Exactly! GM is moving toward removing the market of 3rd-party serviceability for it's cars.

Oh, duh I knew this. No oil cap on the engine, but there's probably one on the oil reservoir. [Wink] [Wink] -T

Jelly

quote:
Originally posted by T-Keith: No oil cap on the engine, but there's probably one on the oil reservoir.
Bingo!

Chassis & Suspension development by Pratt & Miller, Aluminum Hydroformed frame produced by DANA - 345/30x19 Rears - 6 piston Front, 4 piston Rear Brake Calipers - Cross Drilled (cast and camfered) Rotors (possibly Brembo) Engine Development by KaTech To be hand built by new HP Engine Plant LS7 427ci/ 7.0L. 500HP/500 Ft Lbs (512 HP derated to 500HP) - 2 OHV (3 OHV not necessary for target HP) - Raced based [this means C5R] CNC ported Aluminum Head with 70cc chambers - 11.0:1 CR - 46 mm (1.81") Titanium Intake valve - 41 mm (1.61") Na filled Exhaust Valve - 104.8 mm Bore (4.125") , 101.6 mm Stroke (4.0") Aluminum block - Forged Crank - Forged 6 bolt main Bearing Caps - Titanium Rods - Cast Aluminum Flat Top Pistons - 0.591" Lift Cam (15 mm) - Dry Sump - 90 mm Throttle Body on Composite manifold [ December 10, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: kevm14 ]

quote:
Originally posted by CardGuy: I hope I'm not the only one who doesn't know this but, what is a "Dry Sump"?
It means the oil is not stored in the pan, but instead, it is pumped immediately into a reservoir where it is stored. The advantages are more capacity with a smaller pan, no windage problems, and a constant oil supply at high G-loads. -T