Odometer at time of oil change: 90,127.6
Oil used: 6.5 quarts Service Pro 0w-20 full synthetic
Filter: Motorcraft FL-820S
Top Up: none
Air filter: unknown
Date of sample: October 1 2011
Miles on oil: 5,263.1
Miles on vehicle at time of sample: 95,390.7
Oil Analysis Lab: ALS Tribology, Georgia branch, using a NAPA FIL 4077 sample kit.
Previous oil used: 6 quarts Castrol GTX 5w-20, and 1/2 quart Red Line 5w-30 (it was 1/2 quart low when she bought it)
Current oil: Service Pro 0w-20 Full Synthetic SM

2006%20Ford%20Freestyle%20SE%20-%205263%20miles%20-%20Service%20Pro%200w-20.png

Not digging the wear metals, but the add pack looks strong. I did not expect it to be that high, since the PDS lists it as being about 850ppm of zinc. I bet they accidentally used their CJ-4 HDEO additive pack in this batch.

Happy you posted this because I have been curious how the Napa test looked and what it checked for. Nobody at the Napa stores could tell me anything. It's cheap compared to the others.

With silicon being so low and the iron and copper being so high, I'd say the oil viscosity grade for that engine is too thin.

7.6cSt isn't that bad. The engine is meant for 5w-20. I think it might be from the misformulation of the oil., or from the transmission being CVT, which often causes the engine to be revved up fairly high when cold as she gets onto the interstate. I have this same oil in it right now, probably from the same batch, so it will be interesting to see what happens on the next UOA. I may start adding 1/2 can Lubro Moly MoS2 with each oil change.

Does this engine have an oil cooler? The copper is interesting. Also would be interesting if you could try another lab to see if the results are the same.

Originally Posted By: Jjones
Happy you posted this because I have been curious how the Napa test looked and what it checked for. Nobody at the Napa stores could tell me anything. It's cheap compared to the others.

I have another NAPA kit UOA on a 2002 Outback on here also.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd move to a 5W-30 conventional if I were you.

I only use synthetic oil. I have a big stockpile of it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Does this engine have an oil cooler? The copper is interesting. Also would be interesting if you could try another lab to see if the results are the same.

I do not believe that it does.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

OK ... do you have an PP 5W-30 or 10W-30 ?

I do not believe that it does.

Could you check? I'm just trying to figure out where the copper is coming from. Unless Ford has used a lot of copper sealant in it....... Just has made me curious
wink.gif

Thinking out loud here, you said more went in, do you have any more of the same batch on hand that you could send off for a VOA? Would be interesting to see what the virgin levels show as from the same lab.........

I'm just trying to figure out where the copper is coming from.

Bearings ... the copper is coming from bearings.

I'm just trying to figure out where the copper is coming from.

Bearings ... the copper is coming from bearings.

Copper with no lead? I don't think so. That's the fun of UOA's, you have NO CLUE where this stuff is coming from. It may be from a sealant, leaching from an oil cooler....etc. All kinds of different sources that may be perfectly normal for this piece of machinery.

And to add, if this engine is anything like Ford's Modulars, it has bi-metal bearings, which means NO COPPER in them period.

OK ... do you have an PP 5W-30 or 10W-30 ?

PP, no. QS TP, yes. I also have some Service Pro dexos1/sn/gf-5 5w-30 and a bunch of Mobil 1 5w-30.

Thinking out loud here, you said more went in, do you have any more of the same batch on hand that you could send off for a VOA? Would be interesting to see what the virgin levels show as from the same lab.........

I will check batch numbers tonight and mail a sample if I do.

Found my answer:

Quote:
The duratec engine has a tin/aluminium bearing fitted as standard to both mains & bigends, it is recommended to replace these with a heavy duty version, which will give your engine extra protection.

So it isn't coming from the bearings.

Yeah, rarely will a modern engine have traditional lead/copper bearings. The exception may be diesels.
Something interesting I have seen on my engines here, is copper starts showing up when the TAN runs away from TBN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back