2006 Ford F-150 5.4l V8 Spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Impact gun. I've now done 6 5.4L 3V engines with the 2 piece plug and not one broke.
The key is seafoam the engine first to clean any carbon off the exposed threads inside the combustion chamber then some kind of penetrating oil prior to removal.
When I did them I went full blast right off the hop and they came right out.
Warm engine helps too. I don't know if the experts recommend it but in the trucks I've done the engine being warm helped.

Done several of them and this fella is spot on! This is my method and its worked 99% of the time. I do have the extraction tool though... had 1 plug I've had to remove that broke.

Seafoam through the vacumn line and Kroil/PB setting overnight in the plug well makes a big difference!

What the #ell is up with Fords and spark plugs...the generation before this had spark plug blowing issues.

04 in my sig went well, but I did it at 65k just to get them out. I had the tool on hand but none broke. I soaked overnight and it went well with a mild warm engine. Only plug that was trouble to get at was the rear passenger. Computer is in the way.

I used a whole lot of "I" in this....it was my mechanic friend who did the rough stuff! Took him 2 1/2 hours.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Here's the video that was made by the Ford Master Tech on using an impact remove the plugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIQevez-DG0

I am a bit doubtful that the plugs will cause a P0300. I would follow the proper troubleshooting procedure per the service manual.

wow thats some scary [censored] right there....hes either a genius or has to have special pants made cause the watermelons between his legs ...prolly little of both.....but to be honest the guy is good...ive seen some of his vids he has done on the 6.0 and 6.4 powerstrokes...insane work goin on there....

We have found the Mazda Zoom cleaner works best at keeping the plugs from breaking. It is the cleaner Mazda wants us to use the clean out the rotor housings on RX-8s when the temperature drops more than 10 degrees overnight and they don't start due to carbon fouling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back