2006 Ford Explorere 4.6 3v PP5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually this is 5 qts PP5w20 and a quart of QS green bottle 5w20. A motorcraft filter was ran and this was used on a few long stretches. Changed it early with a uoa because I bought it used back in January and wanted to see the state of the engine and considering extended intervals.
I refilled with 6 qts of PP 5w20 and will let it go to 7500. If it looks as pretty then it is going to 1 year or 10k. I have more data as far as gallons of fuel used to add when I get home and look up the book.

Ignore the viscosity comments, I have poor handwriting.
I am loving these Ford Modulars.

ExplorerUOA.jpg

Last edited:
It is 5w20. the report misread my handwriting on the slip(see how this happens?) and thought I used 5w30.
To be clear this is 5 qts PP5w20 and a qt of QS 5w20.

Initial fill, It was out of an opened 5qt container I am trying to finish. No make up oil required, the oil level stayed on the full mark for the entire interval.

Checked the log. Burned 290 gallons of gasoline in this interval. That's an average of 19.1 MPG. To get tp 10000 miles it needs to endure nearly 600 gallons of fuel.

Yea I agree. I've seen it run in the Crown Vics a lot... ALWAYS comes back with good results. 5W-20 does very well in the tight clearance 4.6 engines. How do you like that 4.6 3v engine? Pretty peppy? I know they have 0 bottom end torque.. but when you get passed 2500RPM, do they run really good?

Jaymus,
Have you drive the 3v with the variable timing? The low end is extremely improved over the 2v. (I once has a 2001 fleet f150 with the 4.6 and the powerband feels alot different) This engine moves the 4wd explorer around with authority, I rarely need to rev it above 2200 in normal driving. Cruising RPMs with the 5 speed auto keeps the RPMs down low most the time.
The clearance in modular engines are no differnt than other automotive engines that have run in the past 30+ years. The term that has tightened up in the last qurter century in engine manufacturing are Tolerances.(well other than a few GM truck engine piston tolerances). Bad tolerances can allow an overly sloppy clearance.

Thes 3v modulars seem to be easy to maintain and drivable engines.. I want to test drive a new Mustang to see how it works in a lighter platform.

Glad to hear that. The 4.6 3v is a great motor for the power. Good to hear that it does much better than the 2v 4.6 in the low end department. Should last you forever.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Have you drive the 3v with the variable timing? The low end is extremely improved over the 2v

You can thank that 6-speed auto for that.

Paired up with the 4-speed autos, I much prefer the Navi 5.4 4V and the 99-03 5.4 2V to the 5.4 3V VCT.

That could be true. I recall hearing compalints about the 4.6 with the 4 speed. My F150 with the 5.4 valve has the 4 speed tranny it it must have enough extra to overcome that handicap. It has a dipstick though!

I had a Fusion rental car with the 6-speed. Wow, it really gives these things the gears they need. Makes it a bad [censored] ride with that close ratio 6-speed auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back